PDA

View Full Version : Portable collector opinions

tlipome
01-20-2014, 06:40 PM
Hi all,

I just purchased the DC Insert and was looking for input on portable dust collectors. I have been using my shop vac when the CW is in the basement for the Western NY winters. The shop vac is loud and I have burned out 1 motor due to long run times. I have a full sized collection unit in my garage but I can't get that into the basement because the basement is height challenged (built in 1850 with tree trunk columns and tree limb floor joists). I was considering the 13 gallon 1`HP unit from Harbor Freight. I looked through the reviews on Harbor Freight's site and they weren't too bad. What are your thoughts opinions or comments? Thanks in advance.

Todd
http://www.harborfreight.com/13-gallon-industrial-portable-dust-collector-31810.html

unitedcases
01-20-2014, 07:13 PM
1 hp grizzly is compact. Brushless I believe as well. Worked well for me until I upgraded to the 2 hp grizzly.

fwharris
01-20-2014, 07:35 PM
Todd,

A lot of carves do use that harbor freight dust collector. Just be aware that the bag filter has a large micron rating so it will let fine dust back into your carving area.

jaroot
01-20-2014, 11:15 PM
We use a HF portable. Worked pretty good and like FW said it is a cheap bag. Went quite awhile until the brushes wore out. It did come with a spare set. Of course I couldn't find them when I needed them so I had to order another set. I did put a home made dust separator which reduced the suction to the CW but the bag doesn't fill up as quick and I can use it on my planer now because the shavings drop into the separator instead of piling up on the fan screen. Since we put the carvetight chuck on the CW the dust collector is louder than the CW.

CNC Carver
01-21-2014, 07:47 AM
I've used one for 6 months and works great.

Ton80
01-21-2014, 10:28 AM
That is the one I have and I would purchase it again. Been using it for about 2 years now with no problems. I don't think you have to worry about dust particles with standard bag but you could always get a note bag if it's a concern. Maybe if you carve MDF you should consider it.

gapdev
01-21-2014, 02:10 PM
I have that DC from Harbor Freight and it works great with Floyd's Insert.

I'm using a 5 micron bag bag from Rockler and will be trying out a 3 micron bag on my next Carve.

Kenny

Digitalwoodshop
01-21-2014, 02:19 PM
Like everyone said... the most important thing is the micron size... Especially since you are using it in the People Space....

The Very Finest Dust is what kills you later in life....

AL

tlipome
01-21-2014, 06:57 PM
Thank you for the replies. I just purchased the Grizzly G0710 1HP collector and a 3 micron bag. Now I will have to wait for my DC insert and collector to arrive so I can get back to creating. I ordered some 1 meter LED strips and transformers off Ebay and picked up a sheet of HDPE from a local plastic supplier. Now I just need my wife to decide which photos she wants made into lithopanes.

SteveNelson46
01-21-2014, 07:11 PM
You might also be interested in the ivac auto shut off switch
http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2080165/28298/iVAC-Automated-Shop-Vacuum-Switch.aspx?keyword=brandiVac_and_adwords_labelsDC _Remote_Control&refcode=10INGOPB&device={device}&network={network}&matchtype={matchtype}&gclid=CPyF95rMkLwCFTCCQgodQwwAkQ

I have a Jet 650 cfm DC. Works great but, they wear out after awhile.

fwharris
01-21-2014, 07:43 PM
Thank you for the replies. I just purchased the Grizzly G0710 1HP collector and a 3 micron bag. Now I will have to wait for my DC insert and collector to arrive so I can get back to creating. I ordered some 1 meter LED strips and transformers off Ebay and picked up a sheet of HDPE from a local plastic supplier. Now I just need my wife to decide which photos she wants made into lithopanes.

That should work very well for you, I know a local guy who has one and it works very well for him. Just make sure you empty and clean the bag often to maintain maximum suction.

I shipped your order out today so you should be carving in a couple of days. Thanks for the order.

CNC Carver
01-22-2014, 06:02 AM
I've been using this auto switch with my HF DC and works good. http://www.sears.com/auto-switch/p-00924031000P#

Digitalwoodshop
01-22-2014, 04:54 PM
I have never made a Litho but having a sharp bit is important.... Order some soon....

AL

tlipome
01-22-2014, 05:20 PM
I bought a couple of bits from Eagle- so far so good!!

jaroot
01-24-2014, 08:22 AM
CNC, does the Sears switch turn the DC on when the CW is turned on or does it wait for the cutting motor?

myshop1044
01-24-2014, 08:39 AM
jaroot, check with Jerry B. he has a switch system and I'm not sure of the type, but both the dust collector and Cw plug
into it and when the CW quits the vac system shuts down right after.
Maybe be he will chime on this subject, what do you say "Jerry B."

dbfletcher
01-24-2014, 09:43 AM
I have the craftsman one.. it only fires up the DC (or other accessories) when the cut motor is on.

SteveNelson46
01-24-2014, 10:59 AM
I have tried both switches and here is my experiences:
Both switches will work good for a while.
Both will power on the DC when the cut motor comes on and have a delayed shutoff.
The one from Sears doesn't last as long but, is a good switch.
I currently use the Ivac and have had good luck with it . They generally last about 200 hours.

The problem with both switches is they are rated at 15 amps. When the CW and the DC are running the combined amperage cannot exceed 15 amps. I have a 650 cfm Jet DC and with my system the combined amperage is about 13 amps and seems to work okay. If other DCs draw enough amps to exceed the capacity of the switch it probably won't last very long if it works at all.

Digitalwoodshop
01-24-2014, 12:40 PM
I posted about this iSocket a while back about how it has a Transistor or Triac or SCR very similar to the Q1 on the Termination Board that turns on and off the Cut Motor. While it works fine for the Cut Motor as it is sized correct. A Similar Transistor on a iSocket will likely be used on a Dust Collector or Blower. It is more designed for a small Shop Vac....

I remcommend a simple fix for this....

What you do is buy a small Wall Wort Transformer that will plug into the iSocket in the Dust collector outlet. So when the machine is plugged into the outlet that activates the iSocket it will turn on the Wall Wort.... A very LOW Current Draw part... Making the iSocket last for years and years.... Now the Wall Wort is then used to power a Proper RELAY with the ability to handle the Current of a Blower... It can even be wired to turn on and off a 220 volt unit.... It is all about the relay... They make such relays and they can be had at most electrical supply stores... That along with a few Junction Boxes and heavy cords and plugs that fit the Dust Collector... you have a good setup....

They use that BIG Chunk of Aluminum to act as a Heat Sink to dissipate the heat of powering a Blower through a small device... HEAT is what kills the iSocket.

AL

chebytrk
01-24-2014, 01:04 PM
Yup.... that's the ISocket that I use with my system. I bought it at Rockler(sp) for about $30. I've had it for years and it's always worked fine for me. I plug in the CW and the DC in to it. When the project is done carving the CW turns off and a few seconds later the DC shuts off. Later I learned that instead of the CW staying turned on, I could set (in options somewhere) so the CW turns off after a set time too. So..... that's what I use and it works great for me. Now I just step out in to my garage and listen and look out on the side of my wood shop to see if my DC is still blowing sawdust out. If it's not, my project is done. I ran the 4" hose on the DC thru the shop floor and out the side (got tired of emptying the bag or emptying the trash can). It all works good for me!