PDA

View Full Version : Grouping of Drill Holes

John57
02-19-2007, 05:41 PM
Let me preface this question first - I am relatively new to this device still.

I am trying to use the drill bit tool to create groups of holes. The grouping tool does not work on this tool. Any way to get around this or is there an update on software to allow this? Or another way to create some 300 holes equal distance apart?

I am trying to create a cribbage board and this would make it a lot easier....

Thanks

Digitalwoodshop
02-20-2007, 12:16 AM
I messed with the drill function yesterday in Designer only.

I found it easy after you placed a hole off the page to just copy and paste it. Grab it and move it. Paste again, move, paste, move.... Did this till I had a group of them.

Turned on the grids and started moving them in rows. Once I got them set I used the pick tool and put a box around the group of 20 and copied it.

Then did the paste, move a few times until the board looked like Swiss cheese. Remember to pick them up as a group.

I am sure there are other ways and I would like to hear them.

If I want to drill a 1/4 inch hole, do I just use a 1/4 inch end mill?

AL

Greybeard
02-20-2007, 03:09 AM
I would think it might be quicker to import an image of the holes made in a vector program like CorelDraw.
You would then merge that with the design you have constructed.
Regards
John

John57
02-20-2007, 06:13 AM
I messed with the drill function yesterday in Designer only.

I found it easy after you placed a hole off the page to just copy and paste it. Grab it and move it. Paste again, move, paste, move.... Did this till I had a group of them.

Turned on the grids and started moving them in rows. Once I got them set I used the pick tool and put a box around the group of 20 and copied it.

Then did the paste, move a few times until the board looked like Swiss cheese. Remember to pick them up as a group.

I am sure there are other ways and I would like to hear them.

If I want to drill a 1/4 inch hole, do I just use a 1/4 inch end mill?

AL

Thanks for the help. I have tried this and it has been my only option to this point. However, it still requires exact measurements (typing) and the labels always measure from the nearest point (ie the edge of the board or the center) and I want at least equal distance from one point to make measurements easier.

I have done the cut and paste routine, thats not difficult, but each hole has to be remeasured from the end line. If they were locked in (grouped) the measuring process would be for one hole, not 5 or 20 (after the copy & paste routine) as I had been doing. Just looking for a little easier method to achieve perfection!

The software is very similar to Powerpoint which I use daily, and the grouping fncition is a necessity to get symmetry in the presentation.

Bmac
02-20-2007, 09:50 AM
Have you tried the 'copy offset' function?

Create your first drill hole, select it, right click, copy offset.

You can enter the # of holes needed and the offset required for the pattern you're looking for.

Charles M
02-20-2007, 10:36 AM
Bmac,

I think the Copy Offset has been removed from the current software.

liquidguitars
02-20-2007, 06:45 PM
:twisted: