PDA

View Full Version : Deep Carve

papawbummie
01-15-2014, 07:32 PM
Tried my first new 2 inch bit today. Set carve to 1 inch depth on normal.The wood was walnut,guess it was too hard.Probably should have set to Best or Optimal .Snaped the bit half into. Carved for two minute.,now have to buy another.
Learn by our mistakes but lessons are costing more Thanks Bert

DocWheeler
01-15-2014, 09:00 PM
I thought that the regular carving bit had a one-inch cutting area.
Sorry to hear of your broken bit - your post may save others some cash!

mtylerfl
01-15-2014, 09:11 PM
...Probably should have set to Best or Optimal .Snaped the bit half into. Carved for two minute.,now have to buy another.
Learn by our mistakes but lessons are costing more Thanks Bert

Hi Bert,

Very sorry you had such an expensive lesson, as you say. Ouch!

For others who may read this, CarveWright does make it pretty clear to use Best or Optimal when carving hardwoods with the new long-reach carving bits. Here is an excerpt from the description of one of the long bits...

CAUTION NOTES:

Tighten the bit as tight as much as possible in the CarveTight Spindle to ensure the excess forces don't pull it out.
When carving deep on hard woods it is advised to use quality settings Best or Optimal.
Be sure to be accurate of your board thickness settings in Designer when using this bit. Drastic differences in depth from the project board to the real board can result in damage to your bit and machine.

bergerud
01-15-2014, 09:30 PM
I thought that the regular carving bit had a one-inch cutting area.

That is true (Jeff Bert's bits have a 1.1" LOC.) This is an important point: These regular bits can be used as deep carving bits. If you are carving to a depth of up to 1 inch, you can use the regular bit. It is not nearly as delicate or expensive as the 2.125" LOC deep carving bits. (I am afraid we are going to hear more and more of these broken bit stories. I broke my 1/8" deep bit. It walked out of the chuck.)

I think that the main, unadvertised, selling feature of 2.0 is now that you can carve 1 inch deep with the regular carving bit.

papawbummie
01-16-2014, 12:35 PM
Thanks again for all the info ,I though I set the carve at 1 inch and got the message carve limited to.75,therefore I put the long shaft bit in got myself shafted LOL Thanks Bert

mtylerfl
01-16-2014, 01:11 PM
Thanks again for all the info ,I though I set the carve at 1 inch and got the message carve limited to.75,therefore I put the long shaft bit in got myself shafted LOL Thanks Bert

Couple questions...

1) Are you using the most current version of Designer 2? (version 2.004 at the time of this writing)

2) Did you select the correct long carving bit in your Edit/Board Settings/Pattern Bit Menu before proceeding with running the project?

I don't see how you would get the "carve limited to .75" message if you setup the project correctly (and using the correct software version and correct board thickness).

liquidguitars
01-16-2014, 01:39 PM

I think We need a better system calculating this error especially if one use's a blowout board.

the fix would be to set your project size thicker in z. like 1.5"