PDA

View Full Version : Which wood?

NLAlston
01-15-2014, 02:22 AM
I have been so busy that I've not been able to carve anything after my very first carve on my machine. But, I am hoping to change that REAL soon. I just did a quick search for what I seek, but couldn't seem to find anything. What I would like to know is this: what would the opinions be on the best wood to use for the cleanest carvings? I am sure that there isn't a wood specie which wood result in a truly fuzz free carving, and I'd have no problem with a bit of cleanup. But it would be nice to know which specie(s) might be the best for minor fuzz carvings.

Advanced thanks,
Nathan

brdad
01-15-2014, 06:29 AM
With a sharp bit fuzz has been minimal for most of my projects, but I carve mostly dry hardwood. I really like maple the best. I've had lesser luck with softer woods like pine and poplar but often one of the factors with clean-up for me is not so much the species but the quality of the pattern.

Bigtyme
01-15-2014, 08:56 AM
I agree that a sharp bit is the key even in the softer woods. I prefer to carve hardwoods as well and have found maple to be one of the best. I have some silver maple which is a soft maple and that carves pretty well to. Cherry, walnut and hickory also carve well, but are a little pricey if purchased form a lumber yard.

Dale
01-15-2014, 10:25 AM
Maple is also my favorite. Many times there is almost no clean up required. Cherry and walnut come next.

unitedcases
01-15-2014, 10:30 AM
Sapele is 95% of what I do. Carves beautifully and cleans up well. Looks great with a few coats of polyurethane.

WoodenWizard
01-15-2014, 12:05 PM
Sapele is 95% of what I do. Carves beautifully and cleans up well. Looks great with a few coats of polyurethane.

I too like Sapele. Less work and looks great.

Dave

Ton80
01-15-2014, 12:17 PM
Definitely the hardest woods will generally carve better.. Hard Maple has carved great for me in the past with very minimal fuzz.. Also agree Cherry is a good wood. Oak can be ok but depends on how the grain runs.. quarter sawn has given me best results.

I use a trick IKE posted years back.. don't know if he is still around the forums.. He said to use a torch, on the lowest setting of course, and wave it across the areas where you have fuzz. Then hit it with a sanding mop. This does a pretty good job but you do have to get the feel for it so you don't scorch your board. Definitely want to practice on a piece you aren't getting paid for the first time around ;)

In addition to the sanding mop you mount in a drill, I find the 3M sanding discs are good for getting into the harder to reach and stubborn spots.. 120-150 grit is what I have used and mount them in a dremel or similar tool.. flex shaft makes it easier to work with.

Use the SEARCH tool and you will find TONS of references to fuzzies.. probably more than you want to read ;)

SteveNelson46
01-15-2014, 01:44 PM
I carved a pen box, pen, and pencil set from Bubinga once. That stuff is like working with metal. The brass roller had difficulty biting into the wood even with masking tape along the edge. It took a couple of attempts but, sure turned out nice.

CW-HAL9000
01-15-2014, 08:40 PM
I buy a lot of cull lumber, usually cheap pine. I always carve on best or higher. Then I use a nylon abrasive brush. Pic is attached. I buy them at ACE Hardware they cost like $8.99 and last about a year. I do about 120 - 180 projects a year. Takes care of all the fuzzys with no problem. do not use the narrow ones they carve grooves into the project. I use these on a drill press.

NLAlston
01-17-2014, 01:15 AM
Thanks to everyone for the input. I am sure that I would hold a preference for working in hardwoods, as opposed to softwoods, and will look more into Hard Maple, and Sapele. The latter is a species which I have only, recently, heard about.

The reason I had asked about species favorites is because of reading, somewhere, of a Carvewright carver singing his praises over using Butternut wood as a carving medium. I have never worked with that wood, and wondered what other types of wood might serve as great carving choices. Thanks to all who responded. And an additional thanks to CW-HAL9000 for that nylon brush attachment info.

CW-HAL9000
01-17-2014, 01:41 AM
your welcome, May your carvings be fuzzy free!