PDA

View Full Version : Help needed, Please

WBREASON
01-12-2014, 01:21 PM
I've been carving with the CW for a little over a year and have been running by and large on luck. I've turned out some beautiful work. But from time to time, I get a result I wasn't expecting. I think I might have broken the "7 inch rule" here, but need some guidance before I commit some pricy lumber to task. I bought two sets of Navy Wings from a reputable guy associated here. I set up the project with a set of wings on either side of a text block. The overall project was 29" and the scrap I fed the CW was 32". Everything carved as expected except for the one set of wings (on the left) that has a emblem that should be round but it came out as an oval on a vertical axis. I've attached photos. interestingly, I think the warfare wings carved out in a correct ratio, while the aircrew wings seemed to distort. Would appreciate any guidance. The project looked great on screen in Designer.

unitedcases
01-12-2014, 03:40 PM
Those wings are skewed up and down a bit. Does the mpc in designer look correct?

mtylerfl
01-12-2014, 04:21 PM
Did you allow any Scaling? Scaling can distort patterns on a board that are "locked" into a specific position during layout. The preview in Designer would look just fine and normal, but if you allow scaling at the machine...heaven only knows what is going to come out of it! You mentioned you may have broken the 7" Rule...this can open you up to a host of problems.

Alan Malmstrom
01-12-2014, 04:43 PM
Screen resolution of the monitor can make an object look right on screen when it is actually oval when in the right screen resolution of the monitor. I noticed this when I got my new wide screen monitor and had the wrong resolution. I was trying to draw a constrained circle but it was looking like an oval.

You can find if your using your monitors correct resolution usually by pressing the menu button on your monitor, and then setting it up in the operation systems settings.

mtylerfl
01-12-2014, 05:04 PM
I'm still betting Scaling was at fault. I might lose the bet, but it will be interesting to find out what the issue was, either way. :D

WBREASON
01-12-2014, 05:23 PM
Did you allow any Scaling? Scaling can distort patterns on a board that are "locked" into a specific position during layout. The preview in Designer would look just fine and normal, but if you allow scaling at the machine...heaven only knows what is going to come out of it! You mentioned you may have broken the 7" Rule...this can open you up to a host of problems.

I am afraid I don't know if I allowed scaling. I did allow for centering because of the extra length. I'll run the setup again and take note. I did check my monitor resolution and it's optimized. But it's never happened before. In fact, It worked earlier with the same wings.

WBREASON
01-12-2014, 05:25 PM
All the response are great. I thank you all for getting on this with me. I'm going to run setup again, without actually starting the job. Then I'll have a more detailed response.

WBREASON
01-12-2014, 06:07 PM
I went through setup and I did, in fact, select Scale to board. I will run it again and select the "Keep original size" command. Will it make a difference if I select "center on board" command as well? I'll wait until tomorrow after the "Day Job" to run this again.

This is the first time I've used the forum and I couldn't be more pleased. Thank You all so much.

I know I'll be back. I got the scanning probe and bought the Editor software but haven't had the guts to attempt using it. The video on the CW homepage wasn't "all that" in a confidence builder. I've done a little simplistic digitizing and used "Editor" to refine the work. But, I've gotten clearances from the "better half" to go to Texas in June for some in person learning at the conference.

cestout
01-12-2014, 06:34 PM
Just a suggestion - when you do raster carving, I think it looks sharper sitting on the floor of a carved out area, and if you flip the feather of the area (no feather on the text or graphics) you have a nice frame. And use a small draft for the text and set the bit optimization the best for text and graphics. My opinion. If you board is not long enough, hot glue a 4" piece to each end. Save a lot of wood that way.
Clint

WBREASON
01-12-2014, 07:09 PM
Just a suggestion - when you do raster carving, I think it looks sharper sitting on the floor of a carved out area, and if you flip the feather of the area (no feather on the text or graphics) you have a nice frame. And use a small draft for the text and set the bit optimization the best for text and graphics. My opinion. If you board is not long enough, hot glue a 4" piece to each end. Save a lot of wood that way.
Clint

Yours and everyone else have provided a great deal of input and good advise. Thanks very much!

mtylerfl
01-12-2014, 07:17 PM
I went through setup and I did, in fact, select Scale to board. I will run it again and select the "Keep original size" command. Will it make a difference if I select "center on board" command as well?

Yes, do select Center on board when prompted. As long as the pattern portion in question on the board layout still looks "round" in the preview, and you select the "Keep original size" it should come out alright. If not, please let us know (I'm sure you will!).

Here's something that might be helpful for you in the future. It's an article regarding the "why's" of Scaling:

ISSUE 18 March 2009 – Scaling and How to Avoid It! (http://www.carvewright.com/assets/tips/CarveWrightTips_and_Tricks_Mar09.pdf)

Oh, I'm the guy that made that Scanning Video many, many years ago. Feel free to contact me privately anytime and I can answer any questions you may have about scanning. Nuttin' to it really, and it's a boatload of FUN!

WBREASON
01-29-2014, 11:28 AM
To all of you with input... I took another shot, layed off the scaling and glued extensions on my work piece to defeat the 7 inch rule. It came out perfectly! I'm not adept at using forums as I find it esay to become lost in threads. But i'll practice that a bit more, too. Thanks for all the help!

Bill - Lexington Park, MD

Digitalwoodshop
01-29-2014, 07:40 PM
Glad you got it.... I use blocks of wood taped to the Good Board and use place on end.... Makes for FrugAL use of wood...

AL

WBREASON
01-29-2014, 08:36 PM
Glad you got it.... I use blocks of wood taped to the Good Board and use place on end.... Makes for FrugAL use of wood...

AL

Approaching the end... clever idea with the tape... no drying time. Attached a few pics. 1)Aircrew Wings giving me trouble are now perfect 2) the Air Warfare wings came out every time but a little harder wood made it better. The project is being mated with a US Navy p_3 silhouette done in locally milled black Walnut, I'm very pleased with it. I'll post when the task is a wrap.

Cheers,

Bill

Capt Bruce
01-29-2014, 09:23 PM
Very handsome set and I admire the P3 Black Walnut cutout that really uses the woodgrain sweep to compliment the silhouette. Masterful work