PDA

View Full Version : how are the feed belts protected when doing pierced carvings

mikem
02-19-2007, 07:28 AM
Hi everyone,
I am still researching while waiting for my unit to come in. I don't understand how pierced carvings are done. I read another instructional post on how to create a pierced carving. If I remember right that post said no sacrifical board is needed as long as you don't set the depth of cut greater than 1/8 of an inch past the depth of the board. I have to wonder how can this be? Would the feed belts be in danger of getting carved? :?: I also remember that somehow the software is suppose to put tabs in areas where cutouts are created to prevent drop out of that area thus protecting the unit and carving from binding on a loose piece. Would this apply to a pierced carving or is this a function of a special selection in the software?
Thanks in advance for your help!

poisdoux
02-19-2007, 08:30 AM
The machine only cuts between the feed belts. Like a compound miter saw, the blade goes through the base but never cuts it. There's a space for that.
It's a beautiful thing watching the machine work. It goes left side to side cutting a tiny bit at a time in the space between the feed belts and it's amazing to watch those beautiful patterns being made.
Something like this;

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH <belt
----------cutting space------------
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH <belt

pois doux

mikem
02-19-2007, 05:06 PM
ahh, I see. Thanks. What about the tabs while doing a cut out? Does the software just know to put them or do you select an option?

Jeff_Birt
02-19-2007, 05:47 PM
When you use the 'Cut Out' tool it leaves the tabs automatically. If you cut a board using a rout (Choose bit tool, router bit looking icon) function you need to take care of that yourself.