PDA

View Full Version : Deep carve with the Rock Chuck

SteveNelson46
01-11-2014, 10:29 AM
Has anyone done a deep carve with the Rock Chuck? If so, what bits did you use?

I want to carve a base for a lamp that I turned on the lathe (see attachment) but, I don't have any long bits for the CT chuck. I also have a Rock Chuck but, I don't think I have any bits that are long enough.

This base was designed in Designer 2.04 with the 3D revolve tool.

bergerud
01-11-2014, 11:07 AM
I have done deep carves with my (original) ER20M spindle which is the same geometry as the Rock. The chuck is just above the wood. If you do not have any bits with a long enough LOC (1.5") then you could do it in two passes (two mpc). If you can get a regular carving bit to make it a little past the bottom of the board, you can do it. Use more feather on the first pass to make room for the second pass. (Less feather on the second pass) and do not remove the board from the machine between projects.

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?24499-Two-Pass-Deep-Carve&p=216135#post216135

I think this double pass technique with a regular carving bit is worth getting figured out.

bergerud
01-11-2014, 11:37 AM
Actually, now that I think about it some more. The feather can be the same on each mpc, it is just more efficient to have the second one less. There also should be small draft.

SteveNelson46
01-11-2014, 11:41 AM
I have done deep carves with my (original) ER20M spindle which is the same geometry as the Rock. The chuck is just above the wood. If you do not have any bits with a long enough LOC (1.5") then you could do it in two passes (two mpc). If you can get a regular carving bit to make it a little past the bottom of the board, you can do it. Use more feather on the first pass to make room for the second pass. (Less feather on the second pass) and do not remove the board from the machine between projects.

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?24499-Two-Pass-Deep-Carve&p=216135#post216135

I think this double pass technique with a regular carving bit is worth getting figured out.

Even though $80 bucks is a bit pricey, especially on long thin bits that can break easily, I'm okay with buying the CT bits. But, I would like to find out if there are any long bits that will work in the Rock that might be a little cheaper. I've done a search on the net but, didn't come up with any 1/16" tapered ball nose bits that have long enough flutes or LOC that will carve all the way through a 2" board. These bits are manufactured by someone, somewhere. LHR buys them before the adapter is pressed on and I just thought maybe someone else knew of a good source that has these bits. I haven't asked but, maybe LHR would sell the bits without the adapter.

bergerud
01-11-2014, 12:34 PM
I think the the deep bits are custom made for LHR. I assume you have a 1/4" Rock. You can easily remove the adapter with a propane torch. If you have a 1/2" Rock, you can easily move the adapter on the bit to fit different the Rock depth with the propane torch. So, theoretically anyone can use the deep carving bits.

Having said the above, I have to caution against using the deep carving bits without the adapters. The bits can vibrate themselves right out of a 1/4" chuck. I broke my 1/8" deep carving bit because it vibrated out of my ER20M chuck. With the 1/4" shank, I now over tighten the chuck. I will use the 1/2" adapters with a 1/2" collet from now on. I do not know how the 1/4" Rock will hold. I worry, if the ER20M has trouble, the Rock may as well.

I am trying some other bits that I have found:

http://www.dhgate.com/product/6-60h-0-5-15degree-100l-tungsten-carbide/168764476.html#s1-1-1|3444281565

These have straight flutes and have that familiar router bit, straight edge slapping the wood, sound. They also seem to take a little more power. These have 6 mm shanks and so are of no use to anyone except ER users. (A 1/4" collet will close down to 6 mm. I also have mm collets.)

DocWheeler
01-11-2014, 12:37 PM
Did you see this one (http://www.carbideprocessors.com/tapered-ballnose-spiral-1-8-1-4-dia-1-1-2-cut-length-1-4-shank-vortex-2215/)? Only 1.5 inches, but close.

bergerud
01-11-2014, 12:48 PM
Did you see this one (http://www.carbideprocessors.com/tapered-ballnose-spiral-1-8-1-4-dia-1-1-2-cut-length-1-4-shank-vortex-2215/)? Only 1.5 inches, but close.

That bit looks very nice. I think we need an intermediate bit like this. Why should we risk an $80 2.125" LOC bit if we only want to carve 1.5" deep?

SteveEJ
01-11-2014, 01:12 PM
Look at the Vortex 2205 at the bottom of the page Ken had a link to.. 1/16 - 1/4" and 1.5" cutting depth. Looks like a good intermediate bit!

SteveNelson46
01-11-2014, 01:16 PM
I think the the deep bits are custom made for LHR. I assume you have a 1/4" Rock. You can easily remove the adapter with a propane torch. If you have a 1/2" Rock, you can easily move the adapter on the bit to fit different the Rock depth with the propane torch. So, theoretically anyone can use the deep carving bits.

I have the 1/2" Rock but, the CT is currently installed. I wonder if the long bits with the CT adapter will work in the Rock?

bergerud
01-11-2014, 01:27 PM
I have the 1/2" Rock but, the CT is currently installed. I wonder if the long bits with the CT adapter will work in the Rock?

I am sure they will. You only have to move the adapter down the bit (guessing around 3/8"). This is easily done with only moderate heat from a propane torch.

bergerud
01-11-2014, 01:32 PM
Look at the Vortex 2205 at the bottom of the page Ken had a link to.. 1/16 - 1/4" and 1.5" cutting depth. Looks like a good intermediate bit!

It does. Still pretty expensive. (Even more expensive from the Vortex site where it is the crossed out price.) I suppose one could put a CT adapter on these as well. I really like the fact that they are two flute. I find that two flute bits are much better with less shrill. Now I have to buy some to test, thanks Doc!