PDA

View Full Version : potential customer question from the woodshow last weekend

dltccf
01-09-2014, 02:12 PM
Last weekend at the woodshow in Baltimore one of the people I talked to does custom cutting boards. He cuts out on a scroll saw along one edge, names mostly I think. He wants to use the CW to automate that. He just called me to talk in more detail. He wants to cut 1 1/8" white maple butcherblock. Since the machine is limited to 1" cutting depth is this a no go or would we have to just do a two sided cut? The new long bits information says carving bits not cutting bits, so is there going to be a longer cutting bit to match? He is going to send me an example of what he wants in Illustrator so perhaps I can upload for more clarity on what I am trying to describe when I get it.

Any comments or suggestions? Has anyone used two sided cutouts on boards thicker than 1"?

dave

mtylerfl
01-09-2014, 02:22 PM
Hi Dave,

That's going to be too thick for a cut-through with the CarveWright. It's possible to do a two-sided cut approach, but I would not recommend it.

A possible nice alternative is to carve the lettering on that edge as raised letters on a recessed Carve Region...or a Carve Region with an attractive font done via Centerline/Conform.

After we see his example layout drawing, maybe some other ideas will be inspired.

CNC Carver
01-09-2014, 02:48 PM
What about a 1/4" carve region with the cutouts. Then only cutting 7/8"

mtylerfl
01-09-2014, 04:09 PM
What about a 1/4" carve region with the cutouts. Then only cutting 7/8"

How would you set that up in the layout?

Ton80
01-09-2014, 05:24 PM
I have to imagine if the guy is experienced with a scroll saw he is going to be faster than the CW machine. I guess from the answers above, he is also going to have to get creative so the machine will give him what he needs. I personally don't see the CW as a good replacement for a tool like a scroll saw which, in the right hands, is a very fast cutting tool. Also, he won't be able to get super crisp angles like you can with a scroll saw blade... if using an 1/8" cutting bit then 1/8" is the tightest gap he will get on an inside angle which he may not realize.

Digitalwoodshop
01-09-2014, 05:31 PM
I agree, not a good job for the CW as in cut out letters within the cutting board. I DO like the Carve Region with RAISED Letters.... You could get creative with the shape of the Carve Region.

As for 2 sided... It would be a BEAR to get lined up... Mistakes could get expensive...

AL