PDA

View Full Version : Still demo'ing Designer 2.0.. fonts installed on my system are not working - Mac BUG?

Ton80
01-09-2014, 11:09 AM
I haven't completely written off the decision to possibly upgrade but I keep stumbling into road blocks...

Latest is while placing some text onto a project board, Designer is not displaying my font choice on the project board. Instead some generic font is showing up on the project board even thought the correct choice is showing up in the text window.. These same fonts always worked properly with Designer 1.x.

It's not every font but at least 50% of my fonts are not showing up properly. Some very common ones also are affected. The one is the screenshot was used so you can clearly see the font on the board is not the font I have chosen in the text window.

Macintosh version 2.004
Mac OS 10.9.1

This might be an issue with just the Mac version?

jakab
01-09-2014, 11:49 AM
I'm also seeing this on my Mac.

Some fonts on the same family have problems, for example the normal version of a font displays OK, but the bolded or italic version just switch to a default font, not even similar to the desired font.

The funny thing is that the sample font on the left font selection list box displays the font just fine, as Ton shows on his screen capture.

I think the fonts I have found failing come standard with OS X, but I can't be sure.

I can provide some font names if required.

...Peter

SteveEJ
01-09-2014, 01:18 PM
Wow, I recently purchased the upgrade and just started to layout some text. I am using a Mac Mini with plenty of memory and the latest Mac OS.

I started a new project and selected the text button, left the default font and setting alone. When I started typing in the text I got the spinning ball for several minutes and finally ONE letter I typed in showed up.. Another spinning ball and another letter...

What could be causing this? Any Ideas?

Steve

DocWheeler
01-09-2014, 01:22 PM
I had this happen on my first use (windows) but have not noticed it lately.
Have not done a project with ver. 2 yet, but am playing with designs.

SteveEJ
01-09-2014, 01:27 PM
Hey Doc, How ya feeling?

You still have the basket weave pattern? I am getting ready to re do my fireplace mantle trim and wanted to us it there.

Hope you are well and warm!!

Steve

lynnfrwd
01-09-2014, 01:59 PM
Wow, I recently purchased the upgrade and just started to layout some text. I am using a Mac Mini with plenty of memory and the latest Mac OS.

I started a new project and selected the text button, left the default font and setting alone. When I started typing in the text I got the spinning ball for several minutes and finally ONE letter I typed in showed up.. Another spinning ball and another letter...

What could be causing this? Any Ideas?

Steve

Latest software Maverick?

If open, close Designer.

1. Go to CarveWright Designer Icon
2. Right Click and select GET INFO
3. Select PREVENT APP NAP

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?24574-NOTICE-FIX-for-Designer-2-0-amp-MAVERICK-OS-for-MAC&highlight=maverick

Ton80
01-09-2014, 02:05 PM
How about the original topic , any thoughts on what might be going on?

SteveEJ
01-09-2014, 02:14 PM
Got it. My bad. I had not installed it correctly either. Thx Connie.

I am seeing that a lot of the listed fonts display in the text box and board differently. Perhaps there is a way to keep fonts that are not compatible from showing up in the font list?

Steve

Ton80
01-09-2014, 02:29 PM
Got it. My bad. I had not installed it correctly either. Thx Connie.

I am seeing that a lot of the listed fonts display in the text box and board differently. Perhaps there is a way to keep fonts that are not compatible from showing up in the font list?

Steve

The fonts that are not working now are numerous on my end. This was never an issue with designer 1.x so I am hoping LHR can identify what the problem is a issue a fix. I haven't upgraded but losing this many fonts would be a major concern weighing against a future decision to upgrade.

lynnfrwd
01-09-2014, 02:31 PM

I sent a link to this to Joe, who has a MAC and can test.

gsdsj
01-09-2014, 02:36 PM

This has been happening to me, also on a Mac. Greg

Ton80
01-09-2014, 02:36 PM
I sent a link to this to Joe, who has a MAC and can test.

Thank you, Connie!

tierman
01-09-2014, 03:00 PM
Also happening to me but I am using Windows.

SteveEJ
01-09-2014, 03:05 PM
I tried it on 1.187 with Libian SC Regular and all is ok but on 2.04 the board goes to default font and preview shows correct font. This is just one example.

Steve

mca
01-13-2014, 03:37 PM
It seems there is an issue where the fonts reported present in the OS (primarily MacOS X) have weights, stretch, etc style keywords in the name of the font but when queried back for a family of that name report no such family found, resulting in the default being used. This has led us down the rabbit hole of font naming, check this out for an imcomplete list of possible keywords: http://blog.extensis.com/fonts/abbreviations-font-names.php.
We are going to get code into the next release to correctly handle the most common cases and fail more gracefully in the cases we can't handle.
We can add new keywords as they're discovered, but we've already seen that "Arial Black" is a font family, NOT the Arial family with weight Black. - CONFLICT!

SteveEJ
01-13-2014, 05:56 PM
Looks like a rabbit hole with multiple hidden exits.. Thanks for the hard work!