PDA

View Full Version : Question about maple

cestout
01-08-2014, 05:34 PM
I have never carved maple. Not much detail on the carve but kind of deep. Should I use optimal to take smaller bites, is it ok to use best?
Thanks
Clint

RogerB
01-08-2014, 05:53 PM
cestout I have carved lots of maple on best with a sharp bit. Make sure the wood is nice and dry.I like the pattern I find that outside routing burns a little.

unitedcases
01-08-2014, 07:03 PM
I have used maple before and was very pleased with the results. I used best and didn't have any problems.

atldal
01-08-2014, 08:16 PM
I have gone to mostly using maple on my carves. Hold details good.

Digitalwoodshop
01-09-2014, 12:17 PM
If not in a sled, masking tape on the back of the board to keep it from slipping.

AL

Ton80
01-09-2014, 12:54 PM
Maple , especially if it's hard maple as opposed to soft, will take a carving great on BEST. But do be careful to set up any profile routing or vector carvings to make several passes. Make the last pass a cleanup of maybe .10.. Maple burns easily and since you have no control of the RPM, the CW tends to burn maple because it moves too slowly for the rpm's on a hardwood.

cestout
01-09-2014, 09:13 PM
Thank you all for your input. These people are doing a kitchen remodel and found my website. They had someone make them appliques, but when they asked about a backing he was too expensive. I am not inexpensive, but not a rip-off either. Hopefully I will be able to help them on the rest of the remodel. With designer and the 3D programs I could make this to exactly fit their specs.

Clint