PDA

View Full Version : Capabilities of the CW

Vic Nadata
01-06-2014, 09:32 AM
I am looking for a machine that can:

1. Create boxes via patterns with reliefs. Is it possible to design my own box and create it, or can I modify an existing pattern?

2. Upload and carve images based off of .jpg or similar images?

3. Would this unit be able to cut (with a perhaps special bit) into brass?

Thanks!

chebytrk
01-06-2014, 09:47 AM
1 = yes 2 = yes 3 = no

Vic Nadata
01-06-2014, 10:17 AM
I appreciate the help! One more question please. Would I need to purchase any specialized software for the features I would like?

fwharris
01-06-2014, 10:35 AM
Vic,

Not sure if you have viewed that software tutorials http://www.carvewright.com/support-page/getting-started/tutorials/software-tutorials/

They should help you figure out what you might need...

Vic Nadata
01-06-2014, 12:22 PM
Very good, thanks so much. I will review these and see if these will work for my needs, from what it seems the machine can do what I want. I appreciate the help.

brdad
01-06-2014, 01:38 PM
#2 is not really a yes IMO. You can't just load a jpg of a picture of a horse, carve it in a piece of wood, and expect it to look like much. Hopefully that is explained in more detail in the tutorials.

Vic Nadata
01-06-2014, 02:29 PM
Interesting. I will need to go through the software section. There seems to be quite a few items to choose from.

Basically what I need to make is a fairly large wooden box perhaps 12 wide and 18 long. I am still in the design phase right now. On the top of the box there would be different images like the example below. I truly know nothing of wood working, and was looking for a simple plug and play machine that can do the above. I am comfortable with most any software including AutoCAD, Solidworks etc.

I also do not want to spend 5k on a machine, and the CW seems to fit the bill. Again thank you all for your advice and help. I truly appreciate it.

bergerud
01-06-2014, 02:55 PM
Here is what the etching would carve like after simply importing it into the Designer software.

CW-HAL9000
01-06-2014, 03:12 PM
knowing nothing about woodworking might be a hardship to begin with, same if you are not experienced in the use of computers. This is not a plug it in and come back to a finished project machine and none really exist. There is a learning curve that can be quite extensive based on your previous experience in both woodworking and computer use. The computer use would include graphics design basic use of computers and software such as paint, corel, Photoshop or illustrator, CAD programs, 3d or Graphic design programs. While all this can be learned the more you know before you get into it the quicker the learning curve will go. Go through the tutorials and the tips and tricks sectiion and hang out in this forum. See if you have someone who has a machine and may live near you who can show you in person whats involved. Just so you know what you are getting in to, knowledge is power.

cestout
01-06-2014, 04:32 PM
Your best bet is to contact a StartU member for one-on-one discussions and possibly a demonstration of what the machine and available software can do.
Clint

Vic Nadata
01-07-2014, 10:10 AM
Thanks everyone, good advice. The software is not a problem, and know the ones mentioned very well. This might be a bit more complicated than expected. Perhaps I can simply buy a box I like and modify the lid to reflect my chosen image.

Thanks again!

tierman
01-07-2014, 10:19 AM
Thanks everyone, good advice. The software is not a problem, and know the ones mentioned very well. This might be a bit more complicated than expected. Perhaps I can simply buy a box I like and modify the lid to reflect my chosen image.

Thanks again!
The CW is a terrific and powerful piece of equipment, the most important piece in my workshop at least. Let us know your location and possibly there is someone near you that could show you what it can do. If no one is close to you possibly you could commission someone on the forum to do the top for you. Keep in mind that as with any piece of cnc equipment, there is a learning curve.

Vic Nadata
01-08-2014, 09:43 AM
That is a great idea. Thank you. I would be interested in commissioning the box and lid. I would need 50 of them. I am located in NC. If anyone is interested, you can email me directly at vic@geminiartifacts.com

I appreciate all the help and advice!

cestout
01-08-2014, 05:44 PM
Contact me thru my website - I do stuff for people all over the country. You can see samples of my work on the site. www.clintscustomcarving.com
Thanks
Clint