PDA

View Full Version : 2.004 Centerline text problem

Capt Bruce
01-05-2014, 11:21 PM
I've experienced this a few times recently and have not been able to find out why it is happening.
Designed a new project in 2.004 using a raster carved emblem in the center for 2 hours. It is surrounded by a ring created with two 60 degree V bit carved circles. Between the two circles a motto is carved with Centerline into what is the top surface of the board. Surface shows depth 0.00.

Measurements of the board proceeded smoothly using the Carving bit. Set up asked for the V Bit to be inserted and measured it for length at the pop-out flag. It did not do the touch down on the board surface for the V Bit.
Then it asked for and measured the 1/16" carving bit and proceeded to carve the centered raster pattern (using Optimal).

The program then had me insert the V Bit and began the vector lettering. I watched the bit track to the first letter and it began the carve about 1/4" above the surface of the board. Stopped it immediately and made a decision to drop the bit what seemed like the right amount to carve the text. It worked but the Centerline text was light because I had not dropped it quite enough. I'll have to manually carve the missing letter "I".

66794 66795 Sorry but the file is too large to upload.

This is the second time this has occurred and now I'm to the point I don't want to risk good wood when I don't know what's happening with this text depth control. It is not to my mind a question of needing to select conforming text as it is carving (or should have) at the board surface.

I'd appreciate any ideas you can offer, experiments to run or software tricks I just don't know about yet with this new 2.004 software and Centerline text. Thanks All in advance

bergerud
01-06-2014, 01:06 AM
Did you see the V bit touch the bit flag the second time just before the cut?

Capt Bruce
01-06-2014, 09:36 PM
Affirmative Dan.

When I finish my current project of 25 locker doors for a high school baseball team locker room, I'm going to run another Centerline board test as a check. My V 60 bit is a 1/2" shaft with carbide cutter. I need to check if the width of the top of the carbide may have touched the board edge on the keypad side before going over the touch down on the bit flag. Don't know if that would have any effect, even if it did, but I'm trying to think through every possible part of this scenario. Thanks

bergerud
01-06-2014, 09:58 PM
It is curious behavior. If you have many of these to do, you could, since the centerline is on top, do two separate projects. Cut the centerline first and then, without removing the board, load the carve part of the project. That way the v bit would do its own touch on the board. (When you do get to experimenting, try it with 2.002 firmware.)