PDA

View Full Version : I love wood!!!

dehrlich
01-03-2014, 05:49 PM
I am currently doing a complete reorganization of my shop. Part of it is that I am changing from the horizontal storage racks I have been using to vertical storage to save space. This means I have to move every stick of lumber I have, which is a lot, but it also means I get to see some of the pieces I have been hording for years that I forgot about.

I love to do woodworking, creating unique pieces that make people say "wow" and something that will be here after I'm gone. But I also just love wood its self. I love the colors and grain patterns, the figure in some that nature created. You can build a basic project using some really nice curly or quilted maple and it will be special. Some of the really awesome stuff I found; maple with every kind of figure there is, the walnut that I have from a tree that was over 200 years old, a huge slab of sinker cypress that will be an awesome table one day, several species of spalted woods, all the different exotics from all over the world including a few sticks that I'm not even sure what it really is... rare stuff like quilted aromatic cedar, pommele zebrawood, birdseye cherry... the majesty of a really nice crotch figure that looks like feathers. I have stuff that would make guitar builders drool and just about any woodworker beg me to sell to them. I realize the thousands I have spent building my "private stock" inventory to make really high end jewelry boxes and then when it comes time to build I almost hesitate to use it because I don't want to let it go.

I know this may sound a bit crazy to some and a bit of a strange thing to post, but I think there are some that will appreciate what I'm saying and maybe have the same problem I have. I drive down streets and look at the different trees. I know where most all the mature walnut, pecan and maple trees are in my town. Every tree trimmer in the area has my information with a standing request for any walnut, pecan, spalted or unusual tree they run across.

Enough rambling. I just want to say thank You God for giving us such wonderful raw material to use in our art to express ourselves. Imagine if every kind of wood looked like Poplar (which can also be cool sometimes), how boring wood things be?