PDA

View Full Version : flex shaft

bamaman315
02-18-2007, 12:00 PM
does anyone have pictures with directions on how to remove shaft to lube it ?

HandTurnedMaple
02-18-2007, 12:21 PM
Its really fairly straight-forward. Pull it out of the Z-head where you had to plug it in originally, no tools required just pull hard (a steady pull, not a jerk). Then pull the wire cable out from the sleeve. Spray it down well, let it soak for 20-30 minutes, wipe it off with a rag. Insert it back into the sleeve until it seats. Turn it a few times to make sure it seats in the motor. Then push it back into the head, make sure it seats. And then watch it the first couple of projects because the excess oil will come out on top of the Z-Head, which you just wipe off.

The Bard
02-18-2007, 12:36 PM
we recommend you soak it for at least an hour now.

IM2HAPPI
02-18-2007, 01:49 PM
Yup, thats right lol

Bill
02-18-2007, 01:55 PM
I would read this post by (Chris Rawls Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:24 am)
before you lube your flex shaft it is down abour 1/2 the page.
Bill.

http://www.carvewright.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1885

FdxGuy
02-18-2007, 02:27 PM
I found a nifty way to easily soak my flex shaft, without making a mess. I took a 1/4 inch piece of irrigation tubing and cut it to about 3" longer than the flexshaft. I folded over one end about 1-1/2" and zip tied to to itself to seal that end. Then I slid the flexshaft into the tube and sprayed my Gunk moly lube into it. that keeps with entire flexshaft immersed without using a gallon of lube.

I took it out and let it dry in the sun for a while.

Worked great!

I think any 1/4 tubing should do as long as it's resistant to solvents. That moly lube has some strong solvent as a carrier.

trailblazzzer
03-04-2007, 11:07 AM
Today I wanted to do 2 carvings 2 hr 20 mins a piece. I wanted to lube my flexshaft before I started the carvings since it has been asking me for a few days. I pulled up on the flexshaft but it wouldn't release from the chuck. I pulled harder pulling the ztruck higher than i've ever seen it. It did not want to go back down with a little force it went back down. Now when I move the ztruck up and down with my hand there is a hard spot in the center of the travel. I started a carving it doesn't fault out and seems to carve. I can see the hard spot when it carves but hasn't caused any trouble yet. Does anyone know which gear I stripped or what could have happened. Should I take it apart? I am an industrial maintenance mechanic by trade and have master technician buddies for electrical help at work if I need it. I know I did wrong, but the flexshaft still won't release. How do I get it out?

Arren

bamaman315
03-04-2007, 12:37 PM
I ended up sliding the black clip around to expose the ball bearing, when I remove that the cable came right out, just don't drop that little ball it sure is hard to find in a bunch of saw dust, I have a big magnet used for picking up roofing nails, a couple of passes over the floor and I found mine. Hope it works for you.