PDA

View Full Version : Center group x buttons

Ton80
12-31-2013, 10:51 AM
I don't use these much but I am noticing they don't work right, at least for me on 1.187 on a Mac..

If I click that button it should take all objects and center them based on each objects center marker by placing them each along the center construction line of the project board, correct? Either vertically or horizontally.

The way it's working for me is here. Let's say I have 3 objects that I want to align centers on. So I select all 3 at the same time and hit the Center Group Vertically button. All it's doing is moving the 3 objects over so the group center is on the center of the construction line.. That is not how the tool should work.. is this a long standing bug or am I doing something wrong?

lynnfrwd
12-31-2013, 11:20 AM
It sounds as if you want all items centered on center line. Select all three, right click on the group and select CENTER > CENTER VERTICALLY instead of ALIGN > CENTER GROUP VERTICALLY.

mtylerfl
12-31-2013, 11:21 AM
I believe you will need to use the "Center Horizontally" or "Center Vertically" instead of the Center Group align feature. The group align feature keeps all objects in their current relative position to each other, but centers that group as a "whole" if you use the align (as you have discovered).

Confusing, I know, since other programs' center and align features (Corel, etc.) function a bit differently than Designer

mtylerfl
12-31-2013, 11:24 AM
Additional note: after you have aligned your object's centers, then re-click on the items and remove the "centering lock" so you can move the objects to whatever location you want

aokweld101
12-31-2013, 11:26 AM
I don't know if we are thinking of the same thing but If we are, if I make a pattern and center it as a group it gets all put in the center of the board and it all missed up but if I unlock the pattern to where it moves on he board and put it with where I want it then take the yellow arrows on the size and size it to what I want then it turns out all right. if there is an easier way I would like to know also.......

Ton80
12-31-2013, 11:31 AM
I believe you will need to use the "Center Horizontally" or "Center Vertically" instead of the Center Group align feature. The group align feature keeps all objects in their current relative position to each other, but centers that group as a "whole" if you use the align (as you have discovered).

Confusing, I know, since other programs' center and align features (Corel, etc.) function a bit differently than Designer

Yes, this is what I ended up doing.. and YES, it is confusing why they designed that function to operate differently from how one expects it to operate based on other programs.

Thanks!

Connie,

I want all objects to have their centers aligned but placed somewhere other than the center of the board.. That button is very misleading as to what it does.. as Michael mentions, it is a feature many other programs have but Designer does not give the same results one would expect based on the way that feature is used in most other applications. Anyway.. problem solved and thanks for the help.

Ton80
12-31-2013, 11:35 AM
Now that I am thinking about it.. the problem is the ICON doesn't match the actual purpose of the ICON. The POP UP text does actually properly denote what the function is while the ICON gives a my brain a different message as to what I was supposed to see happen.. ;)

lynnfrwd
12-31-2013, 11:36 AM
Yes, this is what I ended up doing.. and YES, it is confusing why they designed that function to operate differently from how one expects it to operate based on other programs.

Thanks!

Connie,

I want all objects to have their centers aligned but placed somewhere other than the center of the board.. That button is very misleading as to what it does.. as Michael mentions, it is a feature many other programs have but Designer does not give the same results one would expect based on the way that feature is used in most other applications. Anyway.. problem solved and thanks for the help.

I know...I know.

lynnfrwd
12-31-2013, 11:42 AM
You must be using 1.187. You are correct about the icon not depicting it correctly.

66741 (Yes, I opened both versions, because I have a special internal license, but don't try this at home.)

In 2.0, the icon is correct. (A small victory.)

mtylerfl
12-31-2013, 11:48 AM
You must be using 1.187. You are correct about the icon not depicting it correctly.

In 2.0, the icon is correct. (A small victory.)

Well...I had not noticed the icon correction in version 2! Yes, that icon graphic illustrates the current alignment behavior.

bergerud
12-31-2013, 12:56 PM
Now I am confused. It was 2.002 which had the group center icons reversed. I reported it. Was the Mac version of 1.187 different than the Windows version? Am I being dyslexic again?

bergerud
12-31-2013, 01:14 PM
While we are at it, are not the x and y mixed up in the basic centering icons? I think x and y should agree with the x and y of the machine. x is horizontal and y is vertical in Designer.

lynnfrwd
12-31-2013, 02:03 PM
Now I am confused. It was 2.002 which had the group center icons reversed. I reported it. Was the Mac version of 1.187 different than the Windows version? Am I being dyslexic again?

Should be the same for Mac or Windows.

We had that "discussion", too. I don't think I won that one.

bergerud
12-31-2013, 02:51 PM
This was 2.002 which had the icons reversed.

lynnfrwd
12-31-2013, 03:04 PM
I see. They look correct to me in 2.002, but backwards in 2.004.