PDA

View Full Version : JAN 2014 Project of the Month - Arborglyph "Bark" Valentine!

mtylerfl
12-30-2013, 05:14 PM
Hello,

Here is a preview of the next Project of the Month (for JANUARY 2014)...The Arborglyph "Bark" Valentine!
This project is designed to look like a small section of bark salvaged from a tree with your arborglyph carved in it. (An arborglyph is a design or symbol carved into the bark of a tree.) The gentle curved shape allows it to stand on its own for a unique display of affection! You can change and modify the carved wording to anything you like.

The project uses just the 1/16" Carving Bit and the 1/8" Cutting Bit. No other bits are required. However, if you own the optional Centerline and Conform add-ons, you can easily create V-carved lettering instead of the negative raster carve method used in the original layout. You could add some really nice text effects using the more advanced Designer ver. 2, as well!

Main items you will need:
1) The Project Files (included):
• Bark_Heart.mpc

2) Board with the following dimensions: 0.75" x 9.2" x 22"
(Do not use boards that are smaller than specified above unless using an appropriate jig.)

3) You can use any suitable font you have, but the one used in the sample is called “Mandingo”. It is a FREE font and can be downloaded from: http://www.dafont.com/mandingo.font

4) Sandpaper, stain and/or paint and clear finish.

5) A Dremel-type rotary tool with assorted sanding wheels and bits to sand small details and speed up preparation for finishing.

Apply stain/paint and clearcoat of your choice. Here’s what I used on my Arborglyph Valentine made from Select Pine:
• One coat of thinned Bulls Eye Sealcoat (50/50 mix of SealCoat and Denatured alcohol)
• Sanded again with very fine sandpaper & Dremel w/3M radial discs
• Two coats of full-strength Bulls Eye Sealcoat
• Applied Dark Brown acrylic craft paint to the bark
(Apple Barrel Brand #20745 Burnt Umber)
• Applied Light Brown and Grey acrylic craft paint to highlight and enhance realism of the bark texture
(Apple Barrel Brand #21058 Natural Brown)
(Apple Barrel Brand #2620 Pewter Grey)
• Three light spray coats of Krylon Clear Acrylic Gloss
• Two light coats of Krylon Clear Acrylic Satin

Smoken D
12-30-2013, 06:04 PM
Made me smile, great to have it in plenty of time for Valentine's Day. Great Job Michael!

bergerud
12-30-2013, 07:06 PM
What a great idea.

ekimnamyr
12-30-2013, 07:23 PM
That's sooooo cool Michael cant wait to play with it....

mtylerfl
12-30-2013, 09:55 PM
Thank you! I showed the finished project to my In-Laws and they thought it was a real bark section...mission accomplished. :)

rcdages
12-31-2013, 08:16 AM
Michael,

What a wonderfull project to start off the New Year with.

This year is off to a super start with this.........................GREAT GREAT GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Project

tedis
01-03-2014, 08:49 AM
Any idea when this one will be available in the pattern depot?
I'm anxious to make it for my sweet heart.

lynnfrwd
01-03-2014, 09:39 AM
It is now being sent to an email inbox near you.

lynnfrwd
01-03-2014, 10:42 AM
Quotes in title messed up the download. Our software engineers are fixing it.

Thanks for your patience.

rcdages
01-03-2014, 02:52 PM
Is it safe to down load the POM now??

lynnfrwd
01-03-2014, 03:07 PM
Yes, sorry. I'm told it is fixed.

rcdages
01-03-2014, 03:51 PM
Great.

Thank you Connie

Smoken D