PDA

View Full Version : No clue how to do this, but...

Sliverfoot
12-29-2013, 08:00 PM
Monday my parents are moving to a assited living facilty. I would like to carve a sign for the outside of their room with their names on it.
Using 3/4 wood around 20 x 6 I would like to bring the outside inch down to 1/4 then stepping up to 1/2 in the center with layered lettering extending proud from that. Somewhere inthe forum I saw someone that did this but I don't know where it was that I saw it.

Most of the progects I have done so far have pretty much been the opposite of that, carving out the center.
I'd appreciate any suggestions.

brdad
12-29-2013, 08:39 PM
I'm not fully sure I understand what you're doing with all the lettering, but as far as the outside edge I'd just use a larger board like 22 X 8 and carve the 20 X 6 hole centered in that and then after it's carved saw off the inch border around it.

DocWheeler
12-29-2013, 09:03 PM
Attached is an example, one with nested carve regions and one with multi regions.
The left half is the easiest and the right half gives the most options.

I added a "surface" to the end one only. [ATTACH]66722
To do it right I would have made the top and bottom of the far-right region 45 degrees.

bergerud
12-29-2013, 09:15 PM
Do you mean something like this? I used router bits to get the edges but they could also be made into patterns for the carving bit.

If you can explain or show a picture of what you are thinking, I am sure we can help you get it done.

Sliverfoot
12-29-2013, 09:23 PM
Yea I would say this is what I'm looking for.
The outside perimeter is cut low (cut down 1/2") the center cut down 1/4" and the letters are left at the full height. I would like to put a bevel from the center down to the perimeter.
How did you do the outside?

Sliverfoot
12-29-2013, 09:39 PM
66725 Here is a picture of what someone previously did. I don't know who or I would contact them and ask them if they would help me. If anyone knows tell me I'd like to make sure they're ok with me using using their design and ask for help.

bergerud
12-29-2013, 09:48 PM
Can you open the attached files from Doc and I and look at them in Designer? You may only need to alter them to get what you want.

Sliverfoot
12-29-2013, 09:53 PM
Yes I can. What I don't understand is how do I get the "outside" box lower than the rest? Do I create that first? last? or?

Sliverfoot
12-29-2013, 09:59 PM
I think I have it.
We'll be moving them tomorrow so I'll try carving later this week. Thank you for the help with this, I probably wasn't doing a very good job explaining what I was going for.
If anyone knows who designed the one that I'm using as a model please let me know.

SharonB
12-29-2013, 10:44 PM
I think the original was done by Mrtaz or JuicyCarp. Just go to advance search (top right hand corner of this page) and type their names in. I was just going to try to find it myself.

brdad
12-29-2013, 10:54 PM
I think I got it now. You'd still need to saw off the 1" border around the edge so that the finished edge is 1/4". You can't just carve the outer edge to 1/4" because the rollers would have nothing to hold on. You probably could do it with a sled if you had a way of securing the board to it, but it'd be easier just to use an oversized board and cut the border off in a table saw. I made a pattern for the rectangle the text sits on so I could add draft to give it the bevel you wanted.

DocWheeler
12-30-2013, 10:37 AM
66725 Here is a picture of what someone previously did. I don't know who or I would contact them and ask them if they would help me. If anyone knows tell me I'd like to make sure they're ok with me using using their design and ask for help.

I think that this can be seen as the frame being either thick or thin - optical illusion.
The far end seems to be a thick edge-frame while the near end can be seen either way!

Sliverfoot
12-30-2013, 11:26 AM
Gosh darn you're right! I didn't look at it that way.

SteveNelson46
12-31-2013, 03:54 AM
Maybe something like this?