PDA

View Full Version : What is the best way to do that?

zan29
12-27-2013, 03:01 PM
I have to carve a board 60" x 5" (supplied by customer). The design is about 4" x 10" to be carved right in the middle. Of course the board is not wide enough so what would be the best way to do this. Is there a way to temporarily glue an extra 2" on one side ??

DocWheeler
12-27-2013, 03:04 PM
Tape a 3/4" piece to each side as rails.

lynnfrwd
12-27-2013, 03:04 PM
I have to carve a board 60" x 5" (supplied by customer). The design is about 4" x 10" to be carved right in the middle. Of course the board is not wide enough so what would be the best way to do this. Is there a way to temporarily glue an extra 2" on one side ??

That gives you .5" on each side. It should just barely be enough. Make sure you use outfeed rollers for support and strip of masking tape along edge to help with traction on the roller.

bergerud
12-27-2013, 03:27 PM
A trick I have heard others use is to use a small board to do the measurements and just before the carve, switch the boards (do not move the brass roller). You may get a "Possible Board Removal" error, but just hit continue. Experiment to see how it would work. You can avoid having the 5 ft board going back and forth in the machine just for the measure.

zan29
12-27-2013, 03:44 PM
Great idea!

RogerB
12-27-2013, 06:19 PM
Zan use your scraps and make a sled. Soon you will have to get a wood stove you are running out of room to keep saving it for summer camp fires.:rolleyes: lol

zan29
12-28-2013, 04:34 AM
Roger, they are to be used with my new machine, no extra inches needed.........oops, slip of the tongue! OHHH don't get me wrong, I still love Mrs. Carvewright, she's trying hard! Still have to do my cutouts by hand but it's good practice with the scrollsaw and bandsaw. I will carve that square Bergerud!