PDA

View Full Version : My First Deep Carve

bergerud
12-21-2013, 02:04 AM
I finally got some time to experiment with a deep carving bit. Nothing special. I just carved an elliptic bowl out of a spruce 2X6. I used the 1/8" deep carving bit on normal. The sides did not line up, no surprise; the board was cupped with rounded edges. I was not too happy about the noise that the bit made. That same shrill that the 1/8" cutting bit makes on full depth cuts. (It might not have helped that I was cutting out a bowl which acted like a speaker!)

It is great to be able to make larger objects. Sorry but the mpc requires 2.004 to open.

fwharris
12-21-2013, 02:20 AM
Good test carve. I'm guessing that with the bit being longer, more metal, it would give off a different sound versus the normal bit. How was the flex shaft warmth and did you notice any vibration of the shaft? Just wondering if there might of been any sign of increased load?

I've got my bits but have not even opened the package yet.

bergerud
12-21-2013, 02:43 AM
I did not think it was much of a load even cutting at normal. I think the long skinny bit, just like the 1/8" cutting bit, vibrates because it not very rigid. I have yet to try the 1/16" deep carving bit.

henry1
12-21-2013, 05:06 AM
I did not think it was much of a load even cutting at normal. I think the long skinny bit, just like the 1/8" cutting bit, vibrates because it not very rigid. I have yet to try the 1/16" deep carving bit.

could I use my 1/16 carving to do this the regular 1/16 bit

zan29
12-21-2013, 07:40 AM
That's awesome Bergerud.........now I want that bit, my head is full of things I could do. Even though I live in spruce country I have no idea whether it's hard or soft and is it a good wood to use??

Smoken D
12-21-2013, 09:04 AM
Will be interesting how the motor/flex shaft will do using hard woods like oak/walnut/maple. Let us know if you ever use these woods at that depth.

DickB
12-21-2013, 09:17 AM
could I use my 1/16 carving to do this the regular 1/16 bitNo, the standard 1/16" bit will not carve that deep.

bergerud
12-21-2013, 09:56 AM
No, the standard 1/16" bit will not carve that deep.

True, but the standard bit can carve 1" deep. Jeff's bits can carve 1.1" deep. You can carve even deeper using a standard bit if you set it up for two passes. See the skull carve:

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?24499-Two-Pass-Deep-Carve&p=216135#post216135

I am thinking that an intermediate bit with, say, 1.5" LOC might be useful. I doubt I will be making 2" deep cuts that often.

SteveNelson46
12-21-2013, 01:07 PM
I finally got some time to experiment with a deep carving bit. Nothing special. I just carved an elliptic bowl out of a spruce 2X6. I used the 1/8" deep carving bit on normal. The sides did not line up, no surprise; the board was cupped with rounded edges. I was not too happy about the noise that the bit made. That same shrill that the 1/8" cutting bit makes on full depth cuts. (It might not have helped that I was cutting out a bowl which acted like a speaker!)

It is great to be able to make larger objects. Sorry but the mpc requires 2.004 to open.

Bergerud's oval dish inspired me to play around with deep carves, Version 2, and the 3D tools. I haven't carved this yet because I don't have the long bits but, I plan to order them after Christmas (just in case Santa Claus...)

CW-HAL9000
12-21-2013, 01:20 PM
Bergerud's oval dish inspired me to play around with deep carves, Version 2, and the 3D tools. I haven't carved this yet because I don't have the long bits but, I plan to order them after Christmas (just in case Santa Claus...)for those without version 2 how about a pic? Thanks.

Capt Bruce
12-21-2013, 01:22 PM
Interesting design Steve,

I'm trying to figure out the little row of shallow cuts along the lengthwise centerline both on the Front and Back sides? Any idea what causes these? Thanks for sharing.

bergerud
12-21-2013, 01:56 PM
Bergerud's oval dish inspired me to play around with deep carves, Version 2, and the 3D tools. I haven't carved this yet because I don't have the long bits but, I plan to order them after Christmas (just in case Santa Claus...)

You can carve that in two passes. Just add a flat oval carve carve region on each side at 1" deep with feather. Carve that first. As long as you can get the carving bit to stick out far enough (Easier with the Rock or an ER11 adapter), you can do the final carve. The first carve can be draft. The second carve will clean it up. Just like I did with the skull.

liquidguitars
12-21-2013, 03:19 PM
Well done Dan love it!

SteveNelson46
12-21-2013, 03:53 PM
Interesting design Steve,

I'm trying to figure out the little row of shallow cuts along the lengthwise centerline both on the Front and Back sides? Any idea what causes these? Thanks for sharing.

Capt. Bruce,

I think you are referring to the manual tabs. There isn't a long cutting bit so the project has to be cut out by outlining the pattern and then offset the outline to the outside and make it a pierced carve region. Using this method there will be nothing left to hold the work piece in so manual tabs must be used. Sometimes just a straight line across the whole project will work but I like to use short lines in strategic places.

EDIT: If you are referring to the holes in the bottom I'm not sure what they are. In previous versions of the Designer I could remove them by extending the line in the sweep profile just beyond the center. That doesn't seem to work with 2.04. I haven't actually carved it yet so I really don't know what it will do.

Capt Bruce
12-21-2013, 05:36 PM
Hi Steve,

Yes, I was referring to the row of tiny holes in the very bottom centerline of the bowl and same position on the bottom side. Had not seen that effect before so we'll both learn something when this gets carved. Thanks for confirming my eyes aren't failing me.

lynnfrwd
12-21-2013, 11:32 PM
Is the design too thin there?

lynnfrwd
12-21-2013, 11:35 PM
I'm only able to look at the pictures on my phone; not the actual project.

SteveNelson46
12-21-2013, 11:39 PM
I had thought of that so I altered the design and changed the thickness at the shallowest point but, it still had the same results. If you look at the top part of the screen while editing the sweep there is sort of a red oval in the middle. Maybe this is an area where the sweep doesn't work. I have also noticed that the sweep isn't symmetrical. There is a line at the bottom where the top and the bottom halves meet with an overall "V" shape.