PDA

View Full Version : Lost Carving

ONLY WINGE
12-20-2013, 10:10 PM
:confused: I am not sure if this is the correct forum for this ,but here it is. I live in Alaska and we get a lot of power bumps twice I have been at the end of a very large carve and the power went out for just seconds, but that was long enough for the carvewright to stop carving. Is there any way to start it back where it left off or do I just start again? HELP Jim

fwharris
12-20-2013, 10:32 PM
Depending on what your carving design is, you can place a "0" depth carve region over the area that has been carved. This will blank out the area. Place the carve region over the full board area and just short of the place it stopped carving.

You will need to modify the original design and save it under a new name back to the card.

chebytrk
12-20-2013, 10:40 PM
Hey Jim, you can try this.... Leave the board in place, turn off CW, take out card (unless you have an extra card). Go back in designer to that project, create a square/rectangle around the area that you can best see what was already carved on your board. After making the rectangle make that square in to a carve region and & give it a zero depth carve (it's default setting is .250). Save the project (preferrably different name) & upload to card. Run the project & it'll go thru regular initial set up. When it starts to carve the carving bit will never touch the board & should only"air carve". After a minute it should then pause & move to the area where it CAN & WILL carve on the wood (end/edge of the zero carve region you created). If you made the zero carve region square stop at the place where you lost the carving .. It should take up where you left off. I usually back the zero region square just a "tad" in to the already carved area. This way it'll just recarve that little bit. If it's off a little you may just have to sand/touch up a little. Hope this helps...

chebytrk
12-20-2013, 10:48 PM
Oh... & I have a good buddy that lives up there in Wasilla. Plays drums for a band called Fat Chance.

dlambers
03-07-2014, 01:36 PM
I don't know of any way to pick up exactly where you lost the carving, but here is what I have done to make sure this doesn't happen to me. I live in Florida, the lightning capital of the nation. I run my machine off of a very heavy duty ups system, like you see for computers. It eliminates any short duration bumps or blinks. if its an extended outage hitting the stop button and leaving just the electronics running the box will provide power for several hours. Its saved me a lot of grief on several occasions. The one I use is from TrippLite, model OMNI1500lcdt. It maxes out at 1500 volt amps, which is 900 watts, more than enough to power you machine.

FWMiller
03-07-2014, 02:06 PM
Recovering a carve mid way also requires a bit of luck as well. If mine measures the board exactly the same or close enough the second time around I go buy a lotto ticket.

Digitalwoodshop
03-07-2014, 06:32 PM
A UPS Power Supply would be the answer to the power bumps.... and if you bought a wall wort transformer and a matching low voltage relay that you could wire into the left cover switch. Plug that into house power... So when the power bumps, the relay hops and opens the cover circuit and stops the cut motor... The UPS keeps the CW computer on without the cut motor and will save your project....

AL

FWMiller
03-07-2014, 07:51 PM
If you open only the cut motor switch does the controller know to lift the bit and stop x and y motion? At a time when I had a failed controller switch bypassed, when I lifted the cover the cut motor stopped but the controller did not appear to acknowledge this and kept moving x and y breaking the bit. Would you need to have relays on both switches?

bergerud
03-07-2014, 08:03 PM
Al means the left switch. It is like pressing stop. The computer will turn off the motor.

unitedcases
03-09-2014, 10:31 PM
I don't know of any way to pick up exactly where you lost the carving, but here is what I have done to make sure this doesn't happen to me. I live in Florida, the lightning capital of the nation. I run my machine off of a very heavy duty ups system, like you see for computers. It eliminates any short duration bumps or blinks. if its an extended outage hitting the stop button and leaving just the electronics running the box will provide power for several hours. Its saved me a lot of grief on several occasions. The one I use is from TrippLite, model OMNI1500lcdt. It maxes out at 1500 volt amps, which is 900 watts, more than enough to power you machine.

So this will actually power the machine? Or long enough to run to it and stop the cut motor til the lights come back on?