PDA

View Full Version : Dust collection

johnsonswamp
12-20-2013, 07:18 AM
I'm looking at the ringneck blues dc insert, I already have a hard enough time changing bits with my limited hand movements so would need to set it out to change bits. Would it work without bolting down? Maybe some Velcro on the bottom?

CNC Carver
12-20-2013, 07:24 AM
Yes velcro will work fine. I use it with my dust collector. DC is a must have!

johnsonswamp
12-20-2013, 08:33 AM
Good deal, was hoping it would. Now I gotta figure out how I want to route the DC in the shop, only 4 tools but along a 20' bench and one turn for 6'. Thinking 4" pipe under the bench and plumbing through it with the required/reduced size for each tool. After a couple years of getting covered in saw dust it's a relief to know it's about to be a thing of the past.

fwharris
12-20-2013, 11:03 AM
I guess I see no reason that velcro would not work to hold the DC-INSERT in place. I would recommend a good quality velcro and when installing the DC-INSERT make sure you hook the front lip on the frame above the compression roller and pull the insert all of the way towards the front of the opening to set it in place. Always double check the clearance between the chuck and the front of the insert.

For changing bits I find it works best if you rotate the chuck so the screw faces the bit plate.

Let me know how you make out..

SteveNelson46
12-21-2013, 11:28 PM
Some interesting facts and a chart of the toxicity of some woods and sawdust are listed on this website. The Western Red Cedar was particularly interesting. I didn't know where else to put this post so I thought the dust collection thread was the closest to being appropriate.

http://islandwoodturners.ca/documents/wooddust_toxicity.html

fwharris
12-22-2013, 12:01 AM
Some interesting facts and a chart of the toxicity of some woods and sawdust are listed on this website. The Western Red Cedar was particularly interesting. I didn't know where else to put this post so I thought the dust collection thread was the closest to being appropriate.

http://islandwoodturners.ca/documents/wooddust_toxicity.html

I believe this has been posted before but it is always a good idea to get this info bumped up to keep everyone aware.

Thanks!!

johnsonswamp
12-23-2013, 06:18 PM
I need some help, been trying to gather up everything i need online and getting a major headache from all the confusing info online. Was thinking thin wall pvc, but trying to figure out all the adapters to connect to tools, and hose to pvc, reducers, blast gates, which route to take has me ready to pull my hair out.. I have the 2hp harbor freight DC, miter saw 2" ID, router table is 2.25"ID, CW table saw and planer are 4". Was thinking of going to ceiling at DC then down the wall teeing to each tool, but don't know if this is the best way? I know nothing about dust collectors and how to get the most out of it.

DocWheeler
12-23-2013, 08:08 PM
A couple of years ago I got around to installing a DC in my basement shop.
Not knowing what I was doing, I read a bunch and came up with a system that works for me.

I wanted five drops/locations and did not want to use six-inch pipes.
The distances were such that four-inch was not such a good idea.
For about 15-20 feet, I ran two four-inch pipes together.
The furtherest outlet was about forty-feet from the DC.

Here is a shot of my cluttered workshop that shows the double part.
I used metal gates and ran my ground-wires inside (jumping over the gates, but contacting them).

Six-inch might have been better, but I did it this way.
The two 4-inch ducts join together at the far end to go another fifteen - twenty feet (router table).

Don't know it it helps, but may give you an idea.

chebytrk
12-23-2013, 08:26 PM
What size DC system do you have Ken? Mine is 1hp & wish I would have bought a 2hp long ago when I first started out.

Geomoo1
12-23-2013, 09:48 PM
On any of your junctions/off shoots I would suggest using only sweep (45 degree) joints with the sweep pointing to the DC. The reason being that any 90 degree turns will decrease the efficiency (velocity) of your DC by quite a lot. If you are using PVC pipes you will need to run ground wires inside the pipes from your DC to your machines.

Dan-Woodman
12-23-2013, 10:01 PM
Here is a tip. Don't waist your money on plastic blast gates . They have too much slop and get cloged easily with sawdust not letting them close all the way. Several online stores carry dust collection fittings including Woodcraft, Grizzly, Peachtree,etc.

unitedcases
12-23-2013, 10:14 PM
The self cleaning gates work very well. I wish I could remember where I got mine at now but I do remember they were a bit more expensive. And of course, I figured out those were the best after beating up a couple plastic ones.

Proctorw
12-24-2013, 07:20 AM
chebytrk, I bought the 'Portable" unit from Harbor Freight. The dust collection wasn't as good as my roll around 2 HP Delta. One think I did notice on the Harbor Frieght Unit are there were 2 grid plates, one on the intake, the other on the side where the bag was. I found these clogged very easily. I removed the plates. The only function they serve is they keep you from sticking your fingers into the blades. But with the hose connected on one side and the bag on the other, you can't put your fingers into the blades. I guess if you had the hose and bag off, turned it on and stuck your fingers in the blades, well then that may be a problem. I haven't met anyone on the Forum who would do that...

DocWheeler
12-24-2013, 09:54 AM
Jerry, I used a Delta 1.5 HP unit. Only one I've ever used so I am no expert. It seems to work well.
I do not have it connected to my CC since the downdraft unit I've used for six years still works for me.
I did make a drop from the DC to be used for it in the future if I wanted to do it.

George, I know that sharp bends are a no-no, but I used at least one at each drop; all the rest are forty-fives.

johnsonswamp
12-24-2013, 12:10 PM
Here is where I'm at so far.

Red is DC piping, all 4" and reduced at tool, all 45* turns, metal blast gates and floor hose for table saw, rest is run along ceiling and hoses dropped down. will have hose to switch around at router table for it, planer and belt sander. Think this will work? or am I pushing it too far?

Thanks for the info so far.

chkorte
12-24-2013, 01:09 PM
I think that your setup is basically fine, assuming you have blast gates to close each hose you are not using and depending on how powerful your DC is, I have a 1 1/2 hp Delta and I think it would be underpowered for your setup.

johnsonswamp
12-24-2013, 02:07 PM
I think that your setup is basically fine, assuming you have blast gates to close each hose you are not using and depending on how powerful your DC is, I have a 1 1/2 hp Delta and I think it would be underpowered for your setup.
It's the 2hp harbor freight DC

Bigtyme
12-24-2013, 02:58 PM
The only tool that may be a problem is your planer because of the distance from the DC and the diameter of your piping. I have some 6" dia running from the DC for a bit before I stepped it down to 4". Just something to keep in mind if your DC doesn't keep up with your planer.

dehrlich
12-24-2013, 03:19 PM
PVC works well and is cheaper than metal, just remember to run a grounding system. The proper way is to run the wire inside the pipe, drill a hole and exit it out the pipe to connect where the system branches and such. I got cheap bare copper wire on a spool and wrapped around the outside of mine, works fine. Rockler has all the adapters and such you need.