PDA

View Full Version : The Saint Brendan project

Capt Bruce
12-19-2013, 05:51 PM
A friend commissioned me to carve a large plaque for above a mantle to display some photos and tie them all in with a Celtic theme. The boat is named Saint Brendan after the ancient Irish monk who voyaged for years spreading the faith. We worked together on the design around the photos and incorporated Celtic and nautical corner carvings in a border of Celtic knot-work. Here are a few photos as it developed and the carving in progress.

66515 66516 66517 66518 66519 66520

The final dimensions are 39" W by 26" H with the center oak board at the CW max of 14.5". One heavy total assembly when it all came together. Like every project it taught me some new skills working through it, particularly sharpening and using card scrapers to help flatten the surface of the wide oak plank and planning for cross grain joints that will allow for seasonal expansion or contraction.

The Latin quote rendered in a Celtic script is the "Voyage of Saint Brendan the Abbot."

I hope you enjoy seeing this one develop. It will be a Christmas present next week

atldal
12-19-2013, 06:00 PM
Looks great

myshop1044
12-19-2013, 07:23 PM
First class my friend !

DocWheeler
12-19-2013, 07:52 PM
Very nicely done Capt!

mtylerfl
12-19-2013, 09:20 PM
EXCELLENT, Bruce! Thanks for showing the photos!

CW-HAL9000
12-19-2013, 10:13 PM
Really nice.

fwharris
12-19-2013, 10:25 PM
Capt. Bruce,

Job well done sir and it will be the center of attention above the fire place.

tcough3475
12-19-2013, 10:43 PM
Somebody has been very good this year to get a great gift like that. Good job!

SharonB
12-19-2013, 11:18 PM
What a great project. I really like the way you incorporated the photos into the carving.

liquidguitars
12-19-2013, 11:35 PM
Nice work well done!

Geomoo1
12-19-2013, 11:55 PM
Nice one, Capt Bruce. You did a great job, sir.

chebytrk
12-20-2013, 07:01 AM
Awesome Capt. !

peep
12-20-2013, 08:03 AM
That's a really we'll though out job. Very nice. Where did you get the Celtic weave pattern?

Old Salt
12-20-2013, 08:05 AM
looks great , never put pick with carving like that .

DickB
12-20-2013, 08:07 AM
Nice job! Did you develop the Celtic pattern yourself?

Smoken D
12-20-2013, 08:19 AM
Very nicely done! Will look great when it is hanging up.

Capt Bruce
12-20-2013, 12:40 PM
Thank you one and all. This is high praise coming from those who contribute and share beautiful work here on the Forum. I feel honored Folks.

This really was a learning opportunity for me at many points in the process (and probably made it a patience test for my friend). It's always fun to be challenged to do new things and learn as you go.

I must give credit for the Celtic knot-work to the program offered at www.clanbadge.com/knots.htm (http://www.clanbadge.com/knots.htm) called "Celtic Knot Font Graphics Pro Set." It contains 3 sets of KnotWork TrueType fonts you install and then call up as a fonts within Designer or any other program on your PC/MAC. The author has provided very detailed instructions (and samples) on typing (designing) exactly the type of knotwork you want for a project in round, circular, rectangular etc etc shapes that can then be carved as Centerline, Raster or Outlines on the CW. The vector carve system is so much quicker than trying to do the same with a raster carving that there is just no comparison. Since I bought this years ago it has paid for itself many times over through the projects it has helped me produce.

I've been asked to share these designs but to carve them at Vector speeds (Centerline Text), you need to have the purchased fonts registered on your PC. Here is an example of the letters (in Arial TTF) that form the side knotwork on this frame when set in Celtic Font.

q6ww66ww6we
7ts5tts5ts8
us5tss5ts5i
zxyxxxyxxyc

Thanks again for taking a look and for your kind compliments everyone. And a Merry Christmas to All.

skeeterman
12-20-2013, 02:14 PM
that is very nice !!

Steve

Capt Bruce
12-27-2013, 08:57 AM
I received a very nice note on Christmas Day from my friend who commissioned this project about the present she gave to her friend.

"Bruce, I just had to let you know how much Brendan loved the carving. He actually teared up ! It was such a
special gift. We wish you a very Merry Christmas."

It really makes all the work worthwhile when you are told how much it means to someone.

James RS
12-27-2013, 04:17 PM
Oh wow, I forgot I purchased that awhile back. Thanks for sharing that awesome work!

Thank you one and all. This is high praise coming from those who contribute and share beautiful work here on the Forum. I feel honored Folks.

This really was a learning opportunity for me at many points in the process (and probably made it a patience test for my friend). It's always fun to be challenged to do new things and learn as you go.

I must give credit for the Celtic knot-work to the program offered at www.clanbadge.com/knots.htm (http://www.clanbadge.com/knots.htm) called "Celtic Knot Font Graphics Pro Set." It contains 3 sets of KnotWork TrueType fonts you install and then call up as a fonts within Designer or any other program on your PC/MAC. The author has provided very detailed instructions (and samples) on typing (designing) exactly the type of knotwork you want for a project in round, circular, rectangular etc etc shapes that can then be carved as Centerline, Raster or Outlines on the CW. The vector carve system is so much quicker than trying to do the same with a raster carving that there is just no comparison. Since I bought this years ago it has paid for itself many times over through the projects it has helped me produce.

I've been asked to share these designs but to carve them at Vector speeds (Centerline Text), you need to have the purchased fonts registered on your PC. Here is an example of the letters (in Arial TTF) that form the side knotwork on this frame when set in Celtic Font.

q6ww66ww6we
7ts5tts5ts8
us5tss5ts5i
zxyxxxyxxyc

Thanks again for taking a look and for your kind compliments everyone. And a Merry Christmas to All.

RogerB
12-27-2013, 06:11 PM
Bruce Great work. That one customer just made you weak. :rolleyes: Always a good feeling.

Capt Bruce
12-27-2013, 11:36 PM
You are absolutely right RogerB,

Hearing that a carving can make someone "tear up" made my whole month and leads me into the New Year with enthusiasm for more projects. Thanks

Capt Bruce
01-29-2014, 09:11 PM
I'm proud to say my carving project is featured in the Popular Woodworking EZINE this month at the website below. Click on this link

http://www.woodworkersjournal.com/Ezine/Public/ReadersProjectGallery.aspx Open the page and scan down to the Carved Picture Frame project.

Thanks for looking.

Bigtyme
01-29-2014, 09:22 PM
Way to go, Capt. Bruce!! Great project and I think it is great you were chosen for the gallery

SharonB
01-30-2014, 01:17 AM
Congratulations on being featured in PW EZINE...the picture frame is quite unique.

DickB
01-30-2014, 06:32 AM
Congrats! I like the Celtic pattern on the frame.

tierman
01-30-2014, 07:57 AM
Congrats Capt Bruce on a happy and satisfied client, being featured in a highly respected publication, and on an a highly crafted project.

Capt Bruce
01-30-2014, 04:43 PM
Thank you one and all for your kind notes. I appreciate your good thoughts as I keep on trying to improve and learn some new things. I was told the owner is also very proud.