PDA

View Full Version : Head Locking

Oldtrainerguy
12-19-2013, 03:00 PM
My head keeps locking up while trying to crank it down on a project. I have cleaned it and re lubed with white lithium grease. It goes up easy but down I constantly have to unlock it with a hex wrench.
I have the C version and the temp is 75 degrees. Any suggestions?:confused:

dbemus
12-19-2013, 03:18 PM
Sounds like the guide rods are out of alignment, or the head is not level. try this . Try this guide: http://www.carvewright.com/assets/service/Service_instructions/CarveWright_service_adjust_vertical_rods.pdf

Digitalwoodshop
12-19-2013, 08:21 PM
Check head level....

2 boards same thickness and a strip of paper on each. Crank down under both rollers and tug paper... Does one come out easy... Head not level... JAMS the smooth corner post sleeve bearings.

Also try rotating the smooth rails 90 degrees. You must loosen under machine and on top.... DON'T get Schocked... UN Plug Machine.

Could be dry grease inside the 4 corner post bearngs and sawdust....

ALSO check for a Stripped jacking screw nut on TOP... Have seen some posts about stripped jacking screw nuts...

AL

Gary Koval
12-20-2013, 06:49 AM
Oldtrainerguy,
Don't know if this will help, but try just a very small shot of WD40 at the base of the head screws, just to see if that helps. Remember just a small shot of WD40, both sides. Helped me in the past...
Gary