PDA

View Full Version : Why not 1/4" ??

Marzluf
02-17-2007, 10:43 PM
Just currious (and I searched a bunch for answers) why everything I have for the machine states 1/4" as the minimum thickness, yet everything on the CarveWright site and here now shows as 1/2" being the minimum ??

What is it about the machine that allows it to register 1/2" but not 1/4" ??

I was testing it on some 1/4" material this weekend and although it would measure the width, it wouldn't measure the length. Almost like it didn't know where the end of the board was and it just fed it right out.

Put in a 1/2" or thicker board of the same material and it finds the end right away. So what is the sensor seeing in a 1/2" board that it can't see in 1/4" ??

Is it the lack of depth between the surface and the feed belt ? Has anyone found a way around this ?

Greybeard
02-18-2007, 03:47 AM
Why not just keep a piece of 1/4" - 1/2" mdf in the workshop for increasing the thickness ?
Use double sided carpet tape to hold them together. This will be my approach to cut inlay material of 1/8" or less.

John

Marzluf
02-18-2007, 06:33 PM
I know.... I know......

Just trying to figure out the method by which the sensor works..

BobHill
02-18-2007, 06:42 PM
Be real careful using that double sided carpet tape, John. That stuff when 85# of pressure from the rollers is applied really is hard to separate once your work is done. I've gone to Avery/3M glue sticks (waxie) and even that, if left too long is tough. The double sided 3M scotch tape seeems to be the lightest, but sometimes too light.

Bob

Jeff_Birt
02-18-2007, 07:41 PM
The board edge sensor is optical. It senses the change in reflectivity between the board and the belt. The intensity of light is a function of the square of the distance between the source and the target (double the distace 1/4 the intensity). So, there has to be some minimum distance between the top of the board and the belt that that the diffrence in reflection is great enough to be considerd the edge of a board.

There are also slight diffreces in the sensors, machines, and shop lighting so that there is a 'grey' area of board thickness that may work for some but not others. So the 1/2" spec is stated as that will work on all machines (i.e. the Design spec).

PhotoProf
07-22-2007, 10:08 PM
Just picked up my machine of Friday!!!! I got a very good deal from the local Sears so couldn't resist. The manual calls out .25 as minimum thickness but the FAQ sheet says .50 inch. From what I've read on the forum, it seems that it kind of depends on the machine. I need to be able to do .375 or 3/8" and make cutout areas. If my machine recognizes that thickness does that mean it's good to go?

Thanks!