PDA

View Full Version : Lumber storage, what's your opinion?

dehrlich
12-16-2013, 08:14 PM
I am going to be doing a major shop overhaul in the next couple weeks. I usually have around 7-800 bf of lumber in my shop of various varieties, thicknesses, lengths etc. Currently I have 3 huge multi level racks for storage to lay everything flat, which takes up a lot of floor and wall space. I'm thinking of eliminating that and standing everything on end against the wall in one location except the thin stuff and veneer. Am interested in opinions on storing lumber this way, does anyone do it and are there any issues? I am blessed with having 10 ft ceilings in my shop so most everything will work this way. Thanks

tcough3475
12-16-2013, 08:44 PM
I store everything on end as you suggest, mostly because I have a small shop to work from. Thought if stores like WoodCraft did it, it can't be all bad.

TerryT
12-16-2013, 09:02 PM
I used to store my lumber horizontally. It took up 10 feet horizontally and floor to ceiling vertically. It was hard to get to certain pieces and I noticed a lot of warping and bowing. Now I store everything on end and I seem to be able to get more lumber in the same amount of wall space. I can get to burried pieces easier and don't have to sticker everything.

rmock
12-16-2013, 09:18 PM
Store boards on end and at a slight angle so that the cut end is not flat to the floor. This will prevent warping and twisting, also if dampness and humidity are a problem then covering with a canvass tarp may help.

Bigtyme
12-16-2013, 09:56 PM
+1 to rmock's post. On end with a slight angle is a good way to go. I would also suggest if the lumber will be standing for a while to paint the end that will be grounded with a good coat of paint. It helps stabilize the absorption of moisture....

dehrlich
12-17-2013, 06:38 AM
Thanks for your input guys. I plan to put a sheet of plywood on the floor to help prevent moisture coming from the floor.

want2b
12-17-2013, 07:21 AM
Thanks for your input guys. I plan to put a sheet of plywood on the floor to help prevent moisture coming from the floor.

Try using the sub-floor panels they make for putting a floor in a basement. They will raise things off the floor and allow air underneath. I also like being able to adjust the size in small increments without having to cut up a sheet of plywood.
Rick H.

Old Salt
12-17-2013, 08:44 AM
I put a small angle to the back on the bace board to let the lumber tilt to the back .
I have stored lumber this way for 40 years no problem.