PDA

View Full Version : Bits hard to get out of machine.

atldal
12-16-2013, 07:36 PM
Hello, I recently have been having issues with the bits sticking in the head of the machine. I'm using only carvewright bits and have to work and work to get them out of the head. I have a brand new Z truck assembly that has very few carves. Is there a trick to fix this issue?

Shane

badbert
12-16-2013, 09:40 PM
I was always taught, If you have nothing nice to say... But please forgive me blhutchens. The reason the bits are hard to get out... is because they are made to fit precisely. Removing material from the collet will increase runout. Silicone spray IMHO has no business being anywhere near a woodworking machine. Even a micron of airborne silicon can ruin a wood finish. Blow the chuck out with compressed air. And wipe down the collet with a solvent like alcohol to remove any foreign debris. I have a small pair of regular pliers with soft jaws. I use them to gently (it doesn't take much) pry the bit out.

RMarkey
12-17-2013, 08:38 AM
If you tap the nut on the CT, the bit will usually fall out.

DickB
12-17-2013, 12:33 PM
I had an issue with this. In my case there appeared to be very light rust on the adapters and possibly in the CT head, even though the shop is very dry. I used a bit of WD-40 on the adapters and would wipe the adapters of after using the bit - a bit of rust came off onto the paper towel. After a few times, no problem. I did use some emery on one sticky adapter. Tapping with the wrench head usually works.

blhutchens
12-18-2013, 06:57 AM
I was always taught, If you have nothing nice to say... But please forgive me blhutchens. The reason the bits are hard to get out... is because they are made to fit precisely. Removing material from the collet will increase runout. Silicone spray IMHO has no business being anywhere near a woodworking machine. Even a micron of airborne silicon can ruin a wood finish. Blow the chuck out with compressed air. And wipe down the collet with a solvent like alcohol to remove any foreign debris. I have a small pair of regular pliers with soft jaws. I use them to gently (it doesn't take much) pry the bit out.

I usually silicone the bit when I take it out, then let it dry. Might I emphasize "lightly" emory cloth. It seems I may have had a burr on an adapter possibly from dropping it.

P.S. No offense taken………...