PDA

View Full Version : Reading - just for fun

SharonB
12-16-2013, 01:08 AM
Adapted from something on the internet..... TOOLS AND HOW TO USE THEM

SKIL SAW - a portable cutting tool used to make boards to short.

BELT SANDER - an electric sanding tool commonly used to correct minor touch-up jobs into major refinishing jobs.

TABLE SAW - A large stationary power tool commonly used to launch wood projectiles for testing wall integrity. Very effective for digit removal!

BAND SAW - A large stationary power saw primarily used by most shops to cut large pieces into smaller pieces that more easily fit into the trash. Also good for digit removal!

CARVEWRIGHT CNC MACHINE - a small compact machine capable of producing exceptional carving projects until it spits your project out onto the floor, refuses to carve or give you unknown codes you cannot decipher.
The CarveWright can bring you joy or sorrow, induce feelings of love or hate or like the 'Son of a Bitch Tool' make you want to grab it and throw it across the garage while yelling 'Son of a Bitch' at the top of your lungs.
But the CarveWright can, most often, be the tool that brings you self-satisfaction, high praise for your work and gain you recognition as a master woodworker. The machine also provides you the opportunity to be a part of one of the greatest groups of machine owners around the world. Plus, you will never lose a digit ... unless you do something stupid.

skeeterman
12-16-2013, 07:17 AM
sums it up very well. lol

dbfletcher
12-16-2013, 07:21 AM
And I'm nearly positive I have used all of those tools exactly as you describe at one time or another. Nice.

Bigtyme
12-16-2013, 07:23 AM
Well put, Sharon and I appreciate the smile :)

tierman
12-16-2013, 08:34 AM
Sharon, You have such a terrific way with words!

cestout
12-16-2013, 06:37 PM
Just had the 6 stitches removed from getting my right thumb too close to the table saw. Only injury from the CarveWright so far is raw fingers from multiple bit changes with sharp bits.
Clint

Capt Bruce
12-16-2013, 08:38 PM
Love it Sharon,

You've documented all the major tools and described their use and purpose very well. The Son of a Bitch line however does include a whole wide range of power and hand tools.

Clint, sorry to hear your saw bit you that seriously. Hope it's healing well. I too learned a healthy respect for blades at the young age of seven (right to the bone with a band saw). It's kept me wary ever since and the safety features of the CW were one of it's big buying points to me.

badbert
12-16-2013, 09:25 PM
I tell people, if I only had room for one tool... it would be a CNC. Cut, miter, bevel, plane, and carve!

dltccf
12-17-2013, 09:48 AM
all very true.

dave

RogerB
12-17-2013, 06:18 PM
Sharon I have other tools named that. The snowblower just this last snow fall got renamed. lol nice think thats a shop carve for sure.

SharonB
12-17-2013, 10:50 PM
Thanks for looking at the post. It was just a little CW humor, since I haven't been out in the shop for several months and was feeling depressed....glad you enjoyed.

aokweld101
12-18-2013, 07:05 AM
as I was told from the beginning of working with tools: rule #1 keep your hands away from moving parts. rule #2 if your gonna be stupid you gotta be tough!!

Capt Bruce
12-23-2013, 11:29 AM
Rule # 3 When in doubt, before doing anything refer back to rule #1.

Chip
12-23-2013, 07:10 PM
I don't feel so alone now. Years ago I tried to retrieve a small piece of wood I had cut with a miter saw. The blade has not stopped turning as I reached in rather quickly. I had to drive about 40 miles to a hospital, get some stitches to stop the bleeding and had to get the tendons in 2 fingers reattached about a week later. Live and learn.

Proctorw
12-24-2013, 07:31 AM
Every time I hear about a Table Saw Incident, I think about buying a SawStop. I have seen it demo'd live and it is impressive. One of the "Least Intelligent" comments I heard was after a demo, where the salesguy was holding a hotdog sliding it into the blade and the saw quit immediately. He showed us the hotdog and it had a very small nick. If it was a finger it wouldn't have needed anything except maybe a small band aid. I asked what does it take to get your saw up and running again. He said: A new brake mechanism which was about $75 (which I think is now $125) and a new blade. The guy next to me said "$200, that is ridiculous". I asked him do you know what it would cost to sew back a finger, all he said was "HUH? not sure what that means, but $200 seems expensive". I had no further comments, my filter kicked in.