PDA

View Full Version : Almost Ready.....

Beau
02-17-2007, 04:25 PM
I recently found this board and have been checking out the compucarve model at sears. My main purpose for it would be carving within an area of about 1 7/8" x about 6 1/2". Small areas I know. I would like to get some kind of idea of what kind of detail can be done within such an area. I know it wont carve outrageous stuff but what is reasonable?? I would be interested in carving wildlife and outdoors stuff such as wild turkey, bobcat, coyote, fox, just face pics on some and on others the whole thing, some carved and others in raised partial 3-d . I also would like to do some acorns, oak & maple leaves etc on other piece, which I know should be doable without problems, its the animals Im concerned with. I know the depth would be shallow and that is perfectly fine.

Question is has anyone done anything around this scale that I can see? Do you guys think it is for me? Id really like to give the machine a go and am anxious to put in my order (LOL) but would hate to pay the scratch if I cant really use it like id need to.

HandTurnedMaple
02-17-2007, 08:26 PM
This was done at 2 1/4" x 5".

Beau
02-17-2007, 09:55 PM
Thanks for the reply. Nice. Good example of a 3d/raised carving which is definately one I wanted to see.

Is the eagles size 2 1/4" or the wood its on? Just curious.

Also, if anyone has pic of an "engraved" type carving on a small piece to show me would be greatly appreciated as well.

Cliff
02-17-2007, 10:36 PM
Found on page 26 of the CW manual:

Small Workpiece
The minimum acceptable size of a workpiece that can be inserted into the
CarveWright is 1.5 inches wide x 0.5 inches thick x 7 inches long. It will
be necessary to mount the workpiece onto a jig if any single dimension is
smaller than the stated minimums.

Cliff

HandTurnedMaple
02-17-2007, 11:41 PM
Wingtip to Wingtip is 4 3/8", top o fhead to tip of tail feathers is 1 3/4".

Beau
02-18-2007, 02:11 PM
Yeah Cliff. I read that. I dont have the machine yet but have read the faqs. I am going to be using a larger piece, only the area on it to be carved is the size I spoke of.

Handturnedmaple, thanks for the info.