PDA

View Full Version : FIX for Designer on MAVERICK OS for MAC with SLUGGISH FONT ISSUE

lynnfrwd
12-12-2013, 11:03 AM
We have discovered that the Maverick OS for MAC will NOT run the Designer 2.0 Software.

You will need to use 1.187 until we or Apple come up with a fix.

gapdev
12-12-2013, 01:39 PM
Wow, that's a loaded statement!:confused:

Care to share what exactly is not working?

My Mac "runs" the software. What isn't working?

Lots of luck getting Apple to fix YOUR software!

Kenny

jakab
12-12-2013, 02:17 PM
The problem I have experienced and has been verified by LHR support is that editing Text objects takes forever and sometimes changes to the text being edited do not show up on the board.

If you enter a couple or more Text objects and then you go back to editing them you will experience extremely slow response from the program, sometimes crashing altogether.

In fact all elements on the Edit text dialog respond very slowly, or not at all. This only occurs after some text has been added to the board and you are going back to edit it. Sometimes the first edit will work, but subsequent edits will exhibit the problem.

Evidently this only happens on OS X 10.9.

Also there is a second CarveWright icon on the dock while you are editing, this icon represents the "FontGen" program that Designer uses to work with text. In my opinion this second icon should not be on the dock. I think there should only be one icon per program as all other OS X programs. However this is not what is causing the slow text problem.

Hope it gets fixed soon.

... Peter

lynnfrwd
12-12-2013, 02:22 PM
Wow, that's a loaded statement!:confused:

Care to share what exactly is not working?

My Mac "runs" the software. What isn't working?

Lots of luck getting Apple to fix YOUR software!

Kenny

What version of MAC operating system are you running? It is only MAC's newest operating system "Maverick" and only with version 2.0. Text tool is the issue. Has to do with new update. Whatever they added or got rid of has caused it.

I did find another third party Text software that was having issues, as well, and a fix for their program. I'm hoping to see if it is as simple as that.

lynnfrwd
12-12-2013, 02:24 PM
Jakob:

Can you try this (stole from TEXT EXPANDER) and see if it fixes the issue?

1. Choose System Preferences from the Apple menu
2. Click on Security & Privacy
3. Click on the Privacy tab
4. Click on Accessibility in the list at the left
5. Click the lock icon to allow you to make changes (you'll be prompted for your password)
6. Check "Designer"
7. Launch Designer and see if it made any difference

lynnfrwd
12-12-2013, 02:41 PM
Appears Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator & InDesign, AutoDesk's AutoCad for Mac and others are (or have) also had text issues with MAC Maverick.

gapdev
12-12-2013, 02:46 PM
Connie,

That's better, but it still beach balls.

Still get 2 Carvewright Icons in the Dock.

I'm assuming you've filed a bug report with Apple.

Kenny

Using Maverics 10.9 and Designer 2.004

lynnfrwd
12-12-2013, 02:57 PM
Yeah, Joe got back from lunch and we just tested it....no go.

Gonna let a software engineer that knows how to speak the language report it to Apple.

gapdev
12-12-2013, 06:33 PM
Whatever they added or got rid of has caused it

Appears Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator & InDesign, AutoDesk's AutoCad for Mac and others are (or have) also had text issues with MAC Maverick.

Since Designer and these other programs you mentioned all use the Qt UI Framework, it would appear your issue is with this Framework and not Apple.

I'm able to use newer versions of QtCore and QtGui, but fontgen was compiled with older versions and won't work with the newer versions of QtCore and QtGui and I don't know where fontgen came from so can't swap it out to see if a newer version fixes the problem.

Hopefully you'll get this issue resolved soon.

Kenny

Dale
12-12-2013, 08:07 PM
As far as getting a second Carvewright icon on the dock, I have OS X 10.7.5 and get a second Carvewright icon on the doc anytime I use text in Designer 2.0, so that part is not just related to OX S 9.0. Everything seems to work OK, just a little anoying.

gsdsj
12-12-2013, 08:31 PM
This glitch with OS 10.9 and the fact that 2.0 doesn't seem to like the Rock Chuck would have been nice to know before I bought it.

jakab
12-13-2013, 08:37 AM
Jakab:

Can you try this (stole from TEXT EXPANDER) and see if it fixes the issue?

1. Choose System Preferences from the Apple menu
2. Click on Security & Privacy
3. Click on the Privacy tab
4. Click on Accessibility in the list at the left
5. Click the lock icon to allow you to make changes (you'll be prompted for your password)
6. Check "Designer"
7. Launch Designer and see if it made any difference

Hi Connie, I tried the above suggestion and no, it doesn't make it any better.

Thanks for trying.

...Peter

dbfletcher
12-13-2013, 08:59 AM
This glitch with OS 10.9 and the fact that 2.0 doesn't seem to like the Rock Chuck would have been nice to know before I bought it.

What are the issues with the Rock Chuck? I dont remember reading anything about that. I haven't purchased 2.0... but if it throw fits with the RC, I almost certainly wont buy it. (probably should start another thread on this...)

gsdsj
12-13-2013, 09:31 AM
Doug check your private messages. Greg

jlovchik
12-13-2013, 10:36 AM
Designer 2 doesn't have any issues with the Rock Chuck. It's the long carving bits that are the issue. The Rock Chuck sits too low off the bottom of the truck to accommodate the long bits. The software doesn't have anything to do with it.

tierman
12-13-2013, 11:42 AM
What are the issues with the Rock Chuck? I dont remember reading anything about that. I haven't purchased 2.0... but if it throw fits with the RC, I almost certainly wont buy it. (probably should start another thread on this...)
Designer2.0 did not seem to cause any issues with the Rock, however, when I upgraded to Designer2.004 I did have to insert my regular carving(not extended length) bit about 1/4" further into the Rock because it seemed to "dive" onto the bit plate considerably faster and I got a "z" truck error. After I moved it deeper into the chuck it registered OK. Also, I have noticed that the bit does push down on the bit plate and the board surface with considerably more downward pressure than it did before updating to 2.004

liquidguitars
12-14-2013, 01:46 PM
I did a quick test and 2.004 seems not compatible with the Rock so far, but it could be something like dirty rails.

tierman
12-16-2013, 08:27 AM
I did a quick test and 2.004 seems not compatible with the Rock so far, but it could be something like dirty rails.
It seems that I have to recess the bit into the Rock the amount of the thickness of the collar on the 1/4" collet, approx..240 to .245, is what is sticking out of the top of the Rock. Now , one other issue I ran into yesterday. In the past I could "lie" to the machine when initializing the bits when using multiple bits, can't now! Had a project using a 60 degree V and a 1/16" carving. As before I was going to lie and just use the carving bit for initializing when it called for vbit and it slammed into the bit flag. In the 2nd try I put in the v bit, which is considerably shorter, and z truck came down fast but slowed just before touching off on bit plate. My question, is Designer 2.004 now programed to be bit specific and Carvetight specific.

dbfletcher
12-16-2013, 08:35 AM
I hope they don't take away the ability to "lie" when going thru the bit check (or a dd a user option to turn the first check on or off). Like you I almost always lie by keeping the same bit in the chuck for the first measurement, and then replacing with the correct best when i actually needs to use it. It is a nice time saver at the beginning of the projects.

gapdev
12-16-2013, 08:47 AM
As before I was going to lie and just use the carving bit for initializing when it called for vbit and it slammed into the bit flag.

I think that what you are describing is what Metallus has previous said not to do?

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?24519-Firmware-change-caused-Z-axis-stall-error&p=216408#post216408

Best to take this up over there since Carving Bits are not related to this thread and I for one need for the problems in this thread to be fixed or I cannot use the software that I paid for.

Kenny

dbfletcher
12-16-2013, 08:52 AM
I apologize for my part in taking this thread off topic. I do hope you get your issues resolved.

tierman
12-16-2013, 12:56 PM
I think that what you are describing is what Metallus has previous said not to do?

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?24519-Firmware-change-caused-Z-axis-stall-error&p=216408#post216408

Best to take this up over there since Carving Bits are not related to this thread and I for one need for the problems in this thread to be fixed or I cannot use the software that I paid for.

Kenny
Kenny , That thread has been closed so I apologize but what I am trying to get is a straight answer to the question "Is designer 2.004 programed to be bit specific and Carvetight specific? Please..... yes or no. A straight answer will enable me to decide which direction to go from here.

gapdev
12-16-2013, 01:11 PM
Whoops, sorry. Didn't realize it was closed.

I was concerned that they would close this one (they tend to do that a little too often) and I and other Mac users need this specific problem to be resolved - soon.

Kenny

bergerud
12-16-2013, 01:35 PM
Kenny , That thread has been closed so I apologize but what I am trying to get is a straight answer to the question "Is designer 2.004 programed to be bit specific and Carvetight specific? Please..... yes or no. A straight answer will enable me to decide which direction to go from here.

I think the answer is yes. As far as I understand, the bit find procedure had to be rewritten to include the new deep bits. In the process, the procedure was made more efficient by speeding up the z movement where the bit is not expected to be. This has had the unintended consequence of causing z stalls at the bit plate when the bit is longer than expected. I think the jury is still out on the subject. We will have to wait and see.

lynnfrwd
12-17-2013, 09:44 AM
We have found a fix for Maverick on Mac for Designer 2.0!!

1. Go to CarveWright Designer Icon
2. Right Click and select GET INFO
3. Select PREVENT APP NAP

CW-HAL9000
12-17-2013, 10:05 AM
Interesting, I am sure your software developers know this but just in case, designer can be coded to tell the OS to keep Nap App off so that in future updates this issue can be resolved without user action. For the curious Nap App is a feature built in to Maverick to reduce use of the processor when a program is not in use but open. The function is primarily for battery savings on laptops. It reduces the consumption of battery by the processor.

jakab
12-17-2013, 11:00 AM
I can confirm that this works.

I second Icarver's suggestion to make this fix part program so the user doesn't need to get involved.

I would also like you to try and get rid of the second dock icon, the one for FontGen.

Thanks a lot for figuring this out.

...Peter

RMarkey
12-17-2013, 02:46 PM
The App Nap api doesn't exist in our software development environment, so we don't have access to its functionality.

CW-HAL9000
12-17-2013, 03:21 PM
The App Nap api doesn't exist in our software development environment, so we don't have access to its functionality.That is too bad.

EGGMAN
05-02-2014, 05:56 PM
Was able to get the font issue fixed in Designer 2 running on Mac Mavericks with the fix from lynnfrwd. Thanks!
Called Carvewright today (5/2) the fix is in the works for the next update.
Eggman
'Carver's always have the cutting edge'

lynnfrwd
07-31-2014, 02:49 PM
Bumping thread...works on Designer 2 & 3.

PSQRD
08-03-2014, 09:20 PM
Not sure if I should be posting in this thread or starting a new one, but does anyone with OS X Maverick 10.9.4 have any idea why Designer 2.0 randomly gives the hour glass, stops working and then closes itself? I've fixed the App Nap feature which fixed the font issue, I've also done the other fix from Connie. My font is fine besides the fact I can't get the second icon to stop popping up. It just leaves me paranoid saving every minute or so just in case it closes itself. I wouldn't be worried if it didn't happen often but it does, anyone else have this issue and maybe know a fix? I'd GREATLY appreciate it!
Paul

blhutchens
08-03-2014, 09:59 PM
I don't know of a fix. I seem to get the crashes more often when using some of the advanced features. I am using mountain lion and same thing. I just save a lot.

PSQRD
09-06-2014, 05:36 PM
Just noticed I'm not able to use the edit envelope function either, once I hit preview the program automatically closes. Is someone at LHR working on a fix for this issue? Is this the right place to address this or should I start another thread?
-Paul

lynnfrwd
10-21-2014, 04:36 PM
App Nap lives in Yosemite, too! You will need to turn it off.

1. Go to CarveWright Designer Icon
2. Right Click and select GET INFO
3. Select PREVENT APP NAP