PDA

View Full Version : Rotary jig not quite working

zan29
12-11-2013, 10:12 AM
Well I was going to try my rotary jig today but it's not quite working. It's asking for the thickness of the board which I don't see in the instructions but I entered 3/4 anyway. The machine starts to air carve (bit doesn't go down) and it rolls out the flat panel out of the machine. My board in Designer is 14 x 6.727 x 3/4 with a carving area of 12 x 12. Ed or someone, could use your help!

fwharris
12-11-2013, 10:40 AM
It sounds like something is not set up correctly since it is air carving. Make sure that you are installing the jig correctly after the machine starts the carve. If it is not set on the frame correctly then it does not come in contact with the flat panel.

Not sure when Skeeterman got the jig but early on Ed had the first users make a small modification on the bottom of the two side rails. We had to notch out a small area where the rails sit on the squaring plate to get more clearance for the screw heads.

zan29
12-11-2013, 11:34 AM
It might be the problem but the truck is not moving at all and the bit is spinning like it's carving. The traction belts just keep rolling and spit out the flat panel.

bergerud
12-11-2013, 12:29 PM
I have seen this behavior before. The bit spinning and not carving happens when the belts move but the brass roll does not. The machine is waiting for the brass roller to move. When it moves, the truck will go down and start carving. See if there is a reason for the brass roller not moving.

eelamb
12-11-2013, 01:22 PM
If not mistaking the flat board must be sitting on the brass roller. If not then it will do as Dan mentioned. Therefore the whole jig is not positioned in the CW properly. Left side rails must be on the keyboard side plate, right? I do not own the jig so only guessing from what I know of the the jig operations.

fwharris
12-11-2013, 03:00 PM
If not mistaking the flat board must be sitting on the brass roller. If not then it will do as Dan mentioned. Therefore the whole jig is not positioned in the CW properly. Left side rails must be on the keyboard side plate, right? I do not own the jig so only guessing from what I know of the the jig operations.

Yes the 2 vertical rails of the jig sit on the squaring plate and the opposite side plate. They should set flush on top of the plates. An early modification that was needed was to cut two slots (one on each rail) so that the screw heads were not raising up the side rails off of the plates. If this is not done then the jig is not putting the right pressure on the flat panel.

skeeterman
12-13-2013, 08:09 AM
I purchased the jig the first week it was available , and i do remember that there was supose to be a modification to the jig after we had gotten them , i had mentioned this in a post earlier but was told that no modification was needed, so i guess i wasnt dreaming this lol. I never did anything with it , lt just sat around in shop for a couple of years so if there was to be a modification it never was done.
hope this helps Zan

zan29
12-13-2013, 08:17 AM
Well here is my first rotary carve.........and no I'm not sharing that pattern cause it was way too much work........hahahahah So I assume the modification has to be done on the right hand side (guide). Sure hope that is the problem cause I don't have much hair left.........:p

mtylerfl
12-13-2013, 08:19 AM
I purchased the jig the first week it was available , and i do remember that there was supose to be a modification to the jig after we had gotten them , i had mentioned this in a post earlier but was told that no modification was needed, so i guess i wasnt dreaming this lol. I never did anything with it , lt just sat around in shop for a couple of years so if there was to be a modification it never was done.
hope this helps Zan

When I was sent the jig, I just put it in the machine and it worked. I was not aware of any modification that was required for any that were sent out before I got mine.

Perhaps there is a link that describes the "fix" somewhere on the forum that Suzanne might find handy if this one needs modification? EDIT: I see Floyd described the mod...any photos of the mod might help Suzanne further. Picture is worth a thousand words, ya know.
;)

bergerud
12-13-2013, 08:31 AM
I do not think the fix was ever posted. I remember it had to do with bolt head clearance on the the squaring plate. The jig was made for an A machine and the bolt heads had somehow changed. I would think that there would be marks on the jig now where the bolts hit. A close look at these marks and how the jig fits and it should not be too hard to fix.

mtylerfl
12-13-2013, 08:58 AM
I do not think the fix was ever posted. I remember it had to do with bolt head clearance on the the squaring plate. The jig was made for an A machine and the bolt heads had somehow changed. I would think that there would be marks on the jig now where the bolts hit. A close look at these marks and how the jig fits and it should not be too hard to fix.

My machines are all "A" machines...maybe that's why mine worked "out of the box"? I don't know. I just looked at my jig. The only modification(?) I see is along the top of the widest cross-rail...there is an area cut away to allow clearance of the Red Handle when the head is compressed. Here's a photo...

fwharris
12-13-2013, 09:48 AM

Dan,

That is correct about it was set up on an A series machine and the B (and some late A) had raised screw heads. I notched out both of the side rails.

Going back through some of my communications with Ed and found this also.

I am mailing an envelope to you that has a piece of BLACK Hook & Loop strip long enough for both sides of the panel, and a piece of Improved sandpaper that is long enough for both sides also. Just remove the existing white sandpaper and replace with the black Hook & Loop strip, then put the New sandpaper on top of that.
It does three things. It slightly conforms to the round surface of the stock when it is pressed into it. The grip on the stock is improved due to the new sandpaper and the area of tracking being only in the 1 inch area tha is left when carving. Finally it doesn't let the round stock sit completly on the flat panel floor, reducing the posibility of dust lifting the stock.

zan29
12-13-2013, 10:58 AM
My jig is one of the first ones that came out for sale so I have no notch for the red lever and the squaring plate screws. So if I make those modifications, I should be good to go you think??? Are there specifics for those modifications?

fwharris
12-13-2013, 11:08 AM
My jig is one of the first ones that came out for sale so I have no notch for the red lever and the squaring plate screws. So if I make those modifications, I should be good to go you think??? Are there specifics for those modifications?

I will need to check my jig but I do not think I had/have the notch out for the locking handle. I will take a picture and post later on. The only cuts I had to do was for the plate screws.

zan29
12-13-2013, 11:19 AM
Thanks fwharris!

zan29
12-17-2013, 03:18 AM
Does anyone know what modifications need to be done to my jig.............please!!

edzbaker
12-17-2013, 06:59 AM
ZAN29, I sent a PM to you concerning the mod. Also, it sounds like you might have moved the flat panel when you put the top piece into the machine. This will cause the machine to "Spit out" the flat panel.