PDA

View Full Version : show me your back side

myshop1044
12-09-2013, 11:51 AM
I a have request for a Louisiana sign cutout and I'm not sure how I would put a keyhole
on the back side so it would hang balanced.
I rough in a state outline and did a cut path, I did center/center on the front
and when I rotated it to the back for the hey hole position I was not sure where I should put it ,
vertical or horizontal. I did a straight cut bit just to show the position.
Sometimes I have round or oval plaques that are not balanced due to the carving on them.
I have to spin a lot of time trying to find the center point on them too

Give me some ideas how you would address this problem.
Perry B.

chief2007
12-09-2013, 12:13 PM
Place 2 keyhole vertically on the back of the plaque. Use the center to set the distance to keep the keyholes equal distance

brdad
12-09-2013, 01:25 PM
I agree with the vertical. I used the grid on this to make sure they were 6" on center, just to make it easy to measure to attach. On items like this and uneven walls I have often added a felt pad on each side to maintain clearance from the wall (shown by the circles).

dltccf
12-09-2013, 06:01 PM
I do the keyholes after with my router. I hold up the carving with just one finger on each side where I think the hole should go and see how it hangs. When it is right I mark and make the hole.

dave

myshop1044
12-11-2013, 07:38 AM
Thanks fellows for the input, I believe the vertical hey holes will do the trick.
Perry B.

JDPratt
12-11-2013, 09:20 AM
I tend to prefer horizontal key hole slots on the back of wood projects. I plunge the router into the piece and make a slot approx. 3"-4" long (varies depending on the size of the project) and at the end of the slot allow the router to come back out. This creates a "screw/nail" hole on either end of the slot and the project can be slid left or right to find the balance point. Some of the projects are tough to find the center balance point due to the nature of the different woods/density issues/ project attachments.

myshop1044
12-11-2013, 11:50 AM
JD you are correct, I do use the long hey hole idea on most plaques, this allows you to slide the plaque along until it balances.
The Louisiana is a boot and I feel the long slide want balance the boot so I'm going to use the vertical. The second hey hole or lower one will hold the boot
perfectly vertical, if they put the screws in the wall correctly.