PDA

View Full Version : Tip: Add this to your maintenance schedule

TerryT
12-07-2013, 08:35 PM
I may be a little more heavy handed than most when tightening my bits ( I like TIGHT bits), but you want to avoid this if you can.

I would say every 500 to 750 change this little guy out so you don't end up drilling out a broken one like I did. It is stretched a little every time you tighten it. It cost me about a half hour of production today but I guess it could have been worse.

bergerud
12-07-2013, 09:01 PM
This may be an even more important tip with the new deep carving bits for which the extra tightening is recommended.

chief2007
12-07-2013, 09:08 PM
I am definitely adding this to my maintenance list!

fwharris
12-07-2013, 11:12 PM
Good tip Terry. You must be cranking it down fairly hard :D

johnsonswamp
12-08-2013, 07:50 AM
Wonder what grade bolt it is.

TerryT
12-08-2013, 08:43 AM
Good tip Terry. You must be cranking it down fairly hard :D

Yep, I guess so. I was drilling holes with the cutting bit once when it came loose and slipped down. While moving from hole to hole it cut trenches accross the face of the board every where it went. So now I like 'em tight!

aokweld101
12-08-2013, 09:02 AM
When Connie had a post about having the screw and two washes for balance I went and bought two screws and four lock washes, after buying them I already had the bolt and two washes on it, but it is not a bad idea to change them out I sure wouldn't like to be doing the same thing as terry and posting that the bolt broke.....lol ;)

Jeff_Birt
12-08-2013, 09:16 AM
Tightening the screw down hard enough to break it means your going overboard. You can distort the whole chuck by doing so, that will lead to excessive run out.

kroskam
12-08-2013, 09:22 AM
When Connie had a post about having the screw and two washes for balance I went and bought two screws and four lock washes, after buying them I already had the bolt and two washes on it, but it is not a bad idea to change them out I sure wouldn't like to be doing the same thing as terry and posting that the bolt broke.....lol ;)

I did the same thing, and already had the bolt with two washers.

bergerud
12-08-2013, 10:28 AM
Wonder what grade bolt it is.

I think socket head cap screws are commonly grade 8. I'll bet higher grades are available.