PDA

View Full Version : Homing error

ChipperBob
02-17-2007, 08:55 AM
After changing the carving bit I tried to continue with the project but the cutting head failed to move. The LCD displayed " Y/2 homing fault, error 321" I have rebooted, changed bits, changed projects to no avail. Now nothing works and I am dead in the water, has anyone else had this problem?

Jeff_Birt
02-17-2007, 09:53 AM
Bob, I did a quick search for "321" and came up with 4 hits besides yours. You might want to do a search of your own and see if there is any hints in one of the posts. Since you are having a homing error, I would first try to clean the coming sensor which the little black slotted piece mounted to the head. Blow it out with compressed air.

Can you move the Z and Y axis by hand? There should be a slight resistance.

ChipperBob
02-17-2007, 12:49 PM
Cleaning the homing sensor didn't solve problem. While in the cutting head area I detected that the head was VERY hard to move up down, stuck actually. I may have blown sawdust onto the rails while cleaning the machine. I cleaned the Z truck guide rails and was able to free up the truck.

Observing movement of the truck while starting a job, I noticed the Z-truck drive belt moving but the truck remained stationary, resulting in the 321 homing error. I assume therein lies the problem. Can the four screws that hold the truck to the Z rails be removed and replaced without affecting any sort of factory calibration? If I can remove the Z truck I could investigate the truck drive area. I could lubricate (white lithium grease?) the trucks at the same time. I attached a photo of the screws I was talking about

The Bard
02-17-2007, 01:29 PM
I think we talked about this, right?

Jeff_Birt
02-17-2007, 01:35 PM
The screws all go into the axles of the guide bearings. The two right-hand bearings have cam axles which are an adjustment. While it is not difficult to adjust them it it not something to attempt unless you have a lot of experiance with such things. If the belt moves but not the Z-truck the belt probably has come loose where it attaches to the Z-truck. It sounds like time to talk to 'The Mighty Bard'. :)

ChipperBob
02-17-2007, 02:01 PM
I have talked to the "Bard". The trouble stems from loose mounting screws in the drive belt mechanics. They should have been loctited during assembly and were not. Home repair for this problem is not recommended. Time to ship the machine back to Texas.

Thanks to Mr. Cupp for his prompt attention. On his day off no less.

The Bard
02-17-2007, 02:23 PM
:oops: