PDA

View Full Version : Keyhole question

dehrlich
12-07-2013, 03:48 PM
I am curious about the keyhole function. Why do you have to use a special function (additional expense) to have the machine cut a keyhole? There are keyhole bits listed in the bit selection anyway, why can't you just draw a vector line and assign that bit to it, setting the depth accordingly? I haven't tried it, just thought about that and wondered if anyone has tried it.

bergerud
12-07-2013, 04:01 PM
People have tried it and you can do it. Search keyhole and you should find a few posts on it. You have to make a double path there and back so the keyhole bit comes back up the hole it made going down.

dbfletcher
12-07-2013, 04:03 PM
A lot of us did that before the added it to the software. It is a little more involved than just drawing a vector line... it has to be more like a U... otherwise you would have a big hole at each end of the line. If you search the forum, you will find several posts with mpc that you can use to get the same functionality without the add on software.

Here is a thread that I had posted an example mpc.

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?13483-Router-bits&p=111073#post111073

TerryT
12-07-2013, 06:07 PM
That is how I have been doing it for years. The bit plunges in runs to one end of the cut moves ever so slightly to one side then runs back. No cost no fuss, no problem.

chebytrk
12-08-2013, 07:51 AM
Yup.... Thanks to you Doug I've been using this method for years & has worked great for me.

A lot of us did that before the added it to the software. It is a little more involved than just drawing a vector line... it has to be more like a U... otherwise you would have a big hole at each end of the line. If you search the forum, you will find several posts with mpc that you can use to get the same functionality without the add on software.

Here is a thread that I had posted an example mpc.

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?13483-Router-bits&p=111073#post111073