PDA

View Full Version : my machine is haveing issues

aokweld101
12-05-2013, 12:08 PM
I'm running a project that is giving me problems, I think the machine is possessed, I run the project it starts stay under the rollers, I say no the board is long enough.. it runs the board for width and length it spits the board out telling me I have to load the board again, when I get it past that and start the project again, it gets about midway and the z motor goes haywire and starts going back and forth I then after all that it tells me roller is stuck error I turn the roller and it turns as easy as the front I get past that error and the check board sensor goes on ....all right what in the heck do I check...sincerely yours ....LOST

eelamb
12-05-2013, 12:14 PM
Make sure the board is straight and flat.
THen place the board back in the machine and do a measure. To see if the CW measures it the same as you do.
As for roller, it is telling you it is not releasing, may be dust under the micro switch on end of roller. Check that and clean. I am sure others will be here shortly giving you better advice.

SteveNelson46
12-05-2013, 12:15 PM
I'm running a project that is giving me problems, I think the machine is possessed, I run the project it starts stay under the rollers, I say no the board is long enough.. it runs the board for width and length it spits the board out telling me I have to load the board again, when I get it past that and start the project again, it gets about midway and the z motor goes haywire and starts going back and forth I then after all that it tells me roller is stuck error I turn the roller and it turns as easy as the front I get past that error and the check board sensor goes on ....all right what in the heck do I check...sincerely yours ....LOST

Crank the head up enough to compress the roller by hand and use air pressure to blow out the sensor on the keypad side. Sawdust gets packed between the switch and the plate and won't let the roller un-compress. If this doesn't work you may have to remove the end panel to expose the switch and blow out the saw dust.

fwharris
12-05-2013, 12:16 PM

The spitting the board out is a dirty/stuck compression roller switch, do a sensor check for the compression rollers.

For your other problems I would start with doing a re format of the card.

TerryT
12-05-2013, 12:25 PM
If I remember correctly, the board coming out the front would be the rear roller stuck, board out the back is the front roller stuck. As said above, crank the head up and push the roller up and down by hand while shooting air into the switch end. Then do the same to the none switch side also. Use the keypad to check the rollers while moving them up and down. It should switch between compressed and released as you move them.

aokweld101
12-05-2013, 12:33 PM
On my way outside to check the roller sensor I hope that is the problem now is not a good time to go down with Christmas and all...Our good friend Lawrence is going to be visiting me in a couple of days....... I hope I don't have to put him to work....lmao

CNC Carver
12-05-2013, 12:49 PM
Hope you have a great visit with Lawerence. I hope he is enjoying his trip!

mtylerfl
12-05-2013, 01:25 PM

If the board is thinner than .5", it will be spit out. What is the thickness of your board? Although, it's probably just a dirty roller switch - blow it out with forced air whilst squishing the roller up and down during the cleaning...you know, the switch is located at the end of the roller nearest the keypad. Inspect your board sensor while you're at it to see if any dust has gotten behind the clear window. If so, you'll need to remove the window and replace it.

aokweld101
12-05-2013, 01:36 PM
I did the sensor check for the rollers and at first it showed compressed and not compressed now it shows compressed when it's not.. how do I fix it? It is the back roller... 3/4 board

mtylerfl
12-05-2013, 01:39 PM
I did the sensor check for the rollers and at first it showed compressed and not compressed now it shows compressed when it's not.. how do I fix it? It is the back roller

Already told you;)...blow it out with compressed air while squishing the roller up and down until you hear the switch "clicking" again. If that doesn't work, then you will need to remove the keypad side panel to get at the switch for a more thorough cleaning.

aokweld101
12-05-2013, 01:44 PM
I heard you but wasn't listening I really didn't want to do that....LMOA

mtylerfl
12-05-2013, 01:47 PM
I heard you but wasn't listening I really didn't want to do that....LMOA

No problemo...:p

aokweld101
12-05-2013, 02:12 PM
Already told you;)...blow it out with compressed air while squishing the roller up and down until you hear the switch "clicking" again. If that doesn't work, then you will need to remove the keypad side panel to get at the switch for a more thorough cleaning.

I took off the cover and blew it out not as bad as I thought it would be pushed the roller and no click I heard the front roller but not the back... what's next?....You have my attention:D

henry1
12-05-2013, 02:23 PM
I took off the cover and blew it out not as bad as I thought it would be pushed the roller and no click I heard the front roller but not the back... what's next?....You have my attention:D

change the switch out not hard to change had to do this to another machine

aokweld101
12-05-2013, 02:34 PM
I have another machine that's down I might rob it to keep me running but gosh I hate to do that it will cost me a small fortune to get my second machine back up and running

mtylerfl
12-05-2013, 02:36 PM
I have another machine that's down I might rob it to keep me running but gosh I hate to do that it will cost me a small fortune to get my second machine back up and running

Well, the cleaning should have worked. Make sure your connections are tight. I suppose you may have to replace the switch, as a very few people have reported. I can tell you in almost seven years, I have never had to replace a switch (roller or door switches)...cleaning has always worked for me. Sorry it didn't for you!

aokweld101
12-06-2013, 08:53 AM
I found the problem the little catch wasn't pushed far enough out a little adjustment and works fine

chief2007
12-06-2013, 09:16 AM
Good to hear that you hunted down the problem. The switches can be trouble some once in a while.

mtylerfl
12-06-2013, 09:38 AM
I found the problem the little catch wasn't pushed far enough out a little adjustment and works fine

Glad you're running again. What little catch are you referring to? Did you take a photo by any chance?

aokweld101
12-06-2013, 03:44 PM
the metal piece that pushes against the roller

lynnfrwd
12-06-2013, 11:21 PM
Little L clips.

aokweld101
12-10-2013, 01:52 PM
I'm still having problem with the z motor it runs all right in one direction and sluggish in the other I checked the gears and there all right head tension is at 80 pounds... why would it run like that.. then when it does start a project when doing the project the board slips and moves the project and cut out sometimes is up to 1/4 inch off. the last thing that I tried was putting masking tape on the board

bergerud
12-10-2013, 01:56 PM
I'm still having problem with the z motor it runs all right in one direction and sluggish in the other I checked the gears and there all right head tension is at 80 pounds... why would it run like that.. then when it does start a project when doing the project the board slips and moves the project and cut out sometimes is up to 1/4 inch off. the last thing that I tried was putting masking tape on the board

First, I think you mean the x motor. Rubber or sand paper belts?

aokweld101
12-10-2013, 02:04 PM
Rubber belts bergerud, I hope you can help me on this I'm lost. I keep getting them mixed up it the one that feeds the board

chief2007
12-10-2013, 02:32 PM
I have 3 Machines with the Heavy Duty traction belts, I have had board slippage problems in the past and once in a blue moon now when I forget the tape or do not use the 7 inch rule.

Make sure the wood you are using is flat and not warped or cupped at all.
Tape on the brass roller side is a must with the traction belts.
Use a sled or have the extra 3.5 inches at each end of the board
I have a machine that runs the same as yours in regards to the x belts - slower in one direction and faster in the other when doing the test, but does not affect the carve.

Use the 3/16 cutting bit for cutouts if you can. One pass. I found that once in a while with a multipass cut that the board does not track properly and I get layered cuts that are on different cut paths at each end of project. Single cut pass took care of the problem for me.

Also make sure the compression rollers move freely with no signs of any drag. Would assume you are using an analog bathroom scale to check the head pressure.

aokweld101
12-10-2013, 02:44 PM
I have 3 Machines with the Heavy Duty traction belts, I have had board slippage problems in the past and once in a blue moon now when I forget the tape or do not use the 7 inch rule.

Make sure the wood you are using is flat and not warped or cupped at all.
Tape on the brass roller side is a must with the traction belts.
Use a sled or have the extra 3.5 inches at each end of the board
I have a machine that runs the same as yours in regards to the x belts - slower in one direction and faster in the other when doing the test, but does not affect the carve.

Use the 3/16 cutting bit for cutouts if you can. One pass. I found that once in a while with a multipass cut that the board does not track properly and I get layered cuts that are on different cut paths at each end of project. Single cut pass took care of the problem for me.

Also make sure the compression rollers move freely with no signs of any drag. Would assume you are using an analog bathroom scale to check the head pressure.

Thanks Chief for your input, I'll have to check to see if I have a 3/16 bit ..check the rollers... and put tape on the board sensor.. Other than that I don't know what else to do ...again thanks

bergerud
12-10-2013, 03:44 PM
You may have to do some experimenting. For example, put a mark on the belt and the board with a felt marker and see if the board really is slipping on the belt. I bet it is not. When you checked the x gears, did you try and roll them by hand? Just try and roll the gear between the belts with you thumb. If it seems too hard, maybe the belt assemblies need to be taken apart and cleaned up.

I was told once by Metallus (I think) that the slow x drive behavior was a motor control thing. A feedback problem where the x motor encoder and the brass roller encoder do not agree and the motor tries to compensate. I do not really know what that means or how to fix it.

chief2007
12-10-2013, 04:17 PM
Tape on the board not the board tracking sensor. I use at least 2 strips when using hard woods, pine and other soft woods 1 strip

Also a reminder the wood needs to be at least 1/2 inches thick.

aokweld101
12-10-2013, 09:25 PM
I will try every thing that was suggested it's getting close to Christmas...Go figure...:confused: I'm using aromatic cedar

Digitalwoodshop
12-11-2013, 07:14 PM
And know when using the Rubber Belts that when you crank down on the board, especially a narrow board, it causes the belt to bulge like a radial car tire. It bulges and touches the brass roller causing errors.... Some have had luck removing the brass roller and making the mounting holes oval and install more centered to prevent rubbing.

AL

aokweld101
12-11-2013, 08:04 PM
I went out today and started to do everything that was suggested to me went out and tried the z-motor test again and it did the same thing was running sluggish then in the process it started to miss the gears I shut it down immediately and went to look at the gears the gears were in good shape no teeth were missing as before, but the rivet holding on to the gear had broke off and pushed away from the adjacent gear I replaced the gears and going to check it tomorrow I think I found the problem it had me stump as I looked at the gears earlier that week.

bergerud
12-11-2013, 08:13 PM
Hope that is it. (But it is the x drive that is in and out, y is side to side, z is up and down.)

aokweld101
12-11-2013, 08:16 PM
I told ya'll that I had problems with remembering the y, x, and z gears...lol

aokweld101
12-11-2013, 08:31 PM
Hope that is it. (But it is the x drive that is in and out, y is side to side, z is up and down.)

I'll have to think about the movie the "karate kid" as a reference ...Z.. is... UP! DOWN....Y..SIDE! SIDE.. :rolleyes: lol

bergerud
12-11-2013, 08:52 PM
I'll have to think about the movie the "karate kid" as a reference ...Z.. is... UP! DOWN....Y..SIDE! SIDE.. :rolleyes: lol

That is just hilarious! You are a funny guy. Thanks for the good laugh.

aokweld101
12-12-2013, 05:42 PM
I'm in the process of doing a carve, so everything turned out good that was the problem is that the rivet slowly was braking when everything else looked good it was going out of wack running sluggish one way and all right the other.