PDA

View Full Version : Brazilian Hardwood

tierman
12-02-2013, 09:27 PM
I have an opportunity to get some Brazilian hardwood, I believe it is Ipe. Has anyone carved it? What is it worth a bd.ft.?
Is it toxic? Thanks for any help you might give.
Roger

blhutchens
12-02-2013, 11:45 PM
I have carved some Ipe. Last time I bought any it was in the $4 b.f. range. Don't know about toxicity but it has a pepper smell to it and burns your eyes and skin. I have built many decks with it. I would use protective clothing and mask when doing other than cw machining.

blhutchens
12-02-2013, 11:51 PM
Oh yes, I would also carve and cut only on optimal as this stuff is like iron. You can smack it with a hammer and it won't dent.
Throw it in the swimming pool and it goes to the bottom.
A 1" thick piece will stop a .270 cal round at 100m and it has a better fire rating than concrete!!!

tierman
12-03-2013, 06:22 PM
Thanks for the input, we'll see how it goes.

ronboley
12-03-2013, 10:04 PM
The IPE (also called Brazilian Walnut or Brazilian Iron Wood) is mostly used for decking as it has high fire resistive rating, is two or three times stronger than most woods and resists weather, bugs and just about anything including water, preservatives or stains. I bought about 1000 bf for my deck and paid about $3.25 bf for it four years ago. I have carved some of the scrap and its not very good carving material in my opinion. It's so hard that its brittle and the stuff is incredibly dense. You cannot drive a nail or screw into it without pre-drilling as it immediately splits. Your bits will dull quickly and the carve quality is not smooth due to chipping...I suppose because its so brittle. So great for decking...not so great for carving. Just my 2c worth.

Capt Bruce
12-04-2013, 11:48 AM
If you can get Tigerwood from the same source I'd suggest you might like carving that a whole lot more. I built my deck with Tigerwood for the decking and rail tops but Ipe for post upright and spindles for its stability and strength. As others note my scrap carving with Ipe proved it was just too hard and brittle to be of much use to me.

66102 66103

The Tigerwood decking scraps on the other hand are a real treat to carve. Hard yes but just beautiful when the piece is finished.

66104 66105 66106

The real treat is what you discover when it.'s dramatic grain is revealed through carving. It is often hidden inside the board as the surfaces darken when exposed to the air. The only limitation I've found is that I can only get 5 1/2" wide boards around here. Just my 2¢.

tierman
12-04-2013, 04:15 PM
thanks ronboley and Capt Bruce, those 2cents doubled whatever knowledge I had before and is much appreciated.