PDA

View Full Version : Just Bought Designer 2.0...

NLAlston
12-02-2013, 06:29 PM
...and here's hoping that it will be everything that I think it to be. I read that there's a long list of new features/improvements in this version, and I really hadn't the time to kick the tires of the demo that I just, very recently, downloaded. I went ahead and bought it, however, on the strength of (1) I was very interested in the lithograph viewer, as well as the 'Puff Text' feature that I'd read about, and (2) the fact that I was given the money to get it. Another reason that I wanted to jump on it, now, was because of the 10% off savings. But, I see absolutely nothing in the program which gives any kind of reference to the 'Puff Text' feature. I tried, as hard as I might, to remember where I saw this program's feature-set listing, but I DO remember seeing that the desired feature was in there.

brdad
12-02-2013, 07:24 PM
The puff text only works if you have the 3D software as well. :confused:

CW-HAL9000
12-02-2013, 07:39 PM
The puff text only works if you have the 3D software as well. :confused:Another $200, Sorry. That's been my complaint about all this new software.

NLAlston
12-02-2013, 11:59 PM
The puff text only works if you have the 3D software as well. :confused:

Aw, that's not right (I don't mean that as an opposing position as to the truth of your statement but, rather, as an expression of disappointment on how the software business end, of this matter, seems to be run. I KNOW what I saw, on that feature-listing page for Designer 2.0, and two of the features (listed in my first post) were the catalysts for my purchase decision.

I don't how this is going to work out, but I have already emailed LHR with a request to deactivate my Designer 2.0 license (if in any way possible), and refund my $180. Unless some serious changes are implemented, in the way that their software business is handled, I may carry out the life of my CW just with Designer 1.187, and Centerline (which I had also bought).

blhutchens
12-03-2013, 12:00 AM
Yes…..but once you get it and start using it you realize that the software will pay for itself on just a few projects in time saved doing it with the basic software.

NLAlston
12-03-2013, 12:01 AM
Another $200, Sorry. That's been my complaint about all this new software.

Yes. I am surely seeing the sadness of that situation, now.

blhutchens
12-03-2013, 12:18 AM
I started slow and began adding software upgrades as I needed or could afford them. This helps to learn one software before adding another element.
I have never upgraded software to be disappointed. It may not do what I would like it to do but usually does what it is designed to do.
Any purchase I have made I quickly realized the value once I started using it.

To me it is no different than computer software that has to be updated for a fee on a yearly basis. From what I am reading 2.0 will be the one they continue to improve and update. All the others will be as is from now on.

P.s. I haven't bought 2.0 yet but I soon will for the 2" depth of carve alone would be worth the money to me.

NLAlston
12-03-2013, 12:26 AM
Yes…..but once you get it and start using it you realize that the software will pay for itself on just a few projects in time saved doing it with the basic software.

I assume that you are making reference to the additional, $200 3D program. I can understand and appreciate what you have stated (I really can), and I do not doubt that marrying all of the software programs/modules, together, would really serve to heighten the income generating aspects of our respective businesses. But let it be known - up front - just what's needed for a certain feature to know life. BEFORE a purchase is made. I am STILL looking for that page, that I had seen, but haven't been able to locate it ANYWHERE. I know it isn't something that I imagined, or misinterpreted, because I had visited it a few times - and had always seen the same thing.

bergerud
12-03-2013, 01:21 AM
I do not think LHR was trying to misinform you. They were just trying to sell 2.0 and you just missed the "(3D tools license required)" for puffing text.

http://www.carvewright.com/designer-2-0/

Maybe the puffing of text should have been advertized as an improvement of the 3D tools and not a feature of 2.0. It does, as you now know, require both.

It is just a shame that you can not feel good about and have fun with the new purchase.

NLAlston
12-03-2013, 02:02 AM
I do not think LHR was trying to misinform you. They were just trying to sell 2.0 and you just missed the "(3D tools license required)" for puffing text.

http://www.carvewright.com/designer-2-0/

Maybe the puffing of text should have been advertized as an improvement of the 3D tools and not a feature of 2.0. It does, as you now know, require both.

It is just a shame that you can not feel good about and have fun with the new purchase.

I had already sent LHR another email message, asking them to disregard my request for deactivation, and refund. Gaining notice of, and reading your reply, I had to go back and re-read my posts. My aim was to see how an intentional misrepresentation, on the part of LHR could have been construed. After reading my posts over (especially my initial one), I COULD see how the contents might have made someone to feel that way. But it was absolutely NOT my intention to suggest that LHR had dipped their hands in underhanded measures. It WAS my feeling, however, that someone (at LHR) had dropped the ball on being clear enough on what the feature-sets of their programs really entailed.

The page you found is the one that I had searched for, again and again. How you found it, I don't know, but what I DO know, now, is that I owe LHR (as well as my co-carvers here) a HUGE apology. Now, in navigating down to where the mention of 'Puff Text' was, I read about the other program licensing being required, in order to effectuate the usage of that feature. Before I purchased Centerline, I had been to that page three or four times - and I honestly don't understand how I did NOT grab focus on that additional software requirement.

I really feel bad about the whole thing.

blhutchens
12-03-2013, 06:36 AM
No need to feel bad. Stuff happens. We all have been there, so much info to gather and process and try to use when you start it sometimes gets jumbled.
Thats why I started upgrading as needed.
I also downloaded the demos so I could see what features were and how to use them.

NLAlston
12-03-2013, 07:35 AM
No need to feel bad. Stuff happens. We all have been there, so much info to gather and process and try to use when you start it sometimes gets jumbled.
Thats why I started upgrading as needed.
I also downloaded the demos so I could see what features were and how to use them.

Thank you, BL.

ronboley
12-03-2013, 10:44 PM
Just don't feel too bad...navigating the software modules and understanding which does what is pretty confusing to me too. I've been using the "old" designer and pattern software for a year or two. After reading all I could about the new 2.0 and the add on modules on the web site, and watching the tutorials I finally gave up and called LHR. I was lucky enough to speak with Connie and she very patiently answered my questions and explained the relationship of Designer and the Modules. Basically the Designer is the stand alone program that provides all the basic features and is enhanced by each add on module. Each module adds specific capabilities (usually tools) to the basic features of designer. So once one upgrades to 2.0 you have the "basic" features of designer 2.0 (including the new carving depth...how cool!) and can add the features of each module as you want/need them. It may seem like the cost of all of that is a lot in the framework of a hobby machine, but consider that if one added all of the modules to the current Designer it would add up to 200+200+200+50+200+100+150+ oh about $1200.00....It is a lot, but consider that just about any "professional" suite of software tools is usually thousands of dollars...even AutoCAD LT is $1200 or more just to draft 2D lines. So a $200 program that does what most soft core (as opposed to hard core) users need doesn't seem like too much. My 2c worth.

NLAlston
12-03-2013, 11:26 PM
Just don't feel too bad...navigating the software modules and understanding which does what is pretty confusing to me too. I've been using the "old" designer and pattern software for a year or two. After reading all I could about the new 2.0 and the add on modules on the web site, and watching the tutorials I finally gave up and called LHR. I was lucky enough to speak with Connie and she very patiently answered my questions and explained the relationship of Designer and the Modules. Basically the Designer is the stand alone program that provides all the basic features and is enhanced by each add on module. Each module adds specific capabilities (usually tools) to the basic features of designer. So once one upgrades to 2.0 you have the "basic" features of designer 2.0 (including the new carving depth...how cool!) and can add the features of each module as you want/need them. It may seem like the cost of all of that is a lot in the framework of a hobby machine, but consider that if one added all of the modules to the current Designer it would add up to 200+200+200+50+200+100+150+ oh about $1200.00....It is a lot, but consider that just about any "professional" suite of software tools is usually thousands of dollars...even AutoCAD LT is $1200 or more just to draft 2D lines. So a $200 program that does what most soft core (as opposed to hard core) users need doesn't seem like too much. My 2c worth.

Ron, you make very good sense. Thanks.

Capt Bruce
12-04-2013, 11:25 AM
Like you Nathan I'm waiting for my 2.0 license info to arrive. Four years with the prior versions up through 1.187 so like you I want the new features. Here I go back to Newbie status as I start climbing the learning tree again but I look forward to the challenge and all the new capabilities it offers. Enjoy the process and the results and we'll learn together.

lynnfrwd
12-04-2013, 11:29 AM
Like you Nathan I'm waiting for my 2.0 license info to arrive. Four years with the prior versions up through 1.187 so like you I want the new features. Here I go back to Newbie status as I start climbing the learning tree again but I look forward to the challenge and all the new capabilities it offers. Enjoy the process and the results and we'll learn together.

Bruce:

You should have received the Activation Code (Serial Number) via email right after you ordered it.

Connie

NLAlston
12-04-2013, 01:28 PM

Indeed, we will.

You know, version 1.187 was no slouch, but the more I play with 2.0 the more I really like it.