PDA

View Full Version : Two Pass Deep Carve

bergerud
11-30-2013, 12:12 PM
I do not have the deep carve bits yet and so I thought I would try a deep carve in two passes. Here are the files so you can give it a try as well. You have to have 2.004 of course and you must be able to hold a standard carving bit so that it can reach down 1.5+ inches below the board surface. This may be a problem for people with a CT and bit with the standard adapter. You may need the ER11 adapter or the Rock. I think the CT is close but not close enough. You might be able to take an old bit and adapter and press the bit further into the adapter. I do not know. Anyway, if you can get down to the depth, you can carve this skull.

First carve skull pass 1 and then, without lifting the head or removing the board, carve skull pass 2.

Digitalwoodshop
11-30-2013, 12:14 PM
Pretty Slick !!!!

AL

liquidguitars
11-30-2013, 12:26 PM
Very cool!!!

unitedcases
11-30-2013, 01:05 PM
Thats pretty neat. Very clean carve!

bergerud
11-30-2013, 01:11 PM
Why that was just an old 2X6 that I threw on! Carved on normal as well.

zan29
11-30-2013, 02:47 PM
Awesome idea Bergerud!

henry1
11-30-2013, 03:18 PM
I do not have the deep carve bits yet and so I thought I would try a deep carve in two passes. Here are the files so you can give it a try as well. You have to have 2.004 of course and you must be able to hold a standard carving bit so that it can reach down 1.5+ inches below the board surface. This may be a problem for people with a CT and bit with the standard adapter. You may need the ER11 adapter or the Rock. I think the CT is close but not close enough. You might be able to take an old bit and adapter and press the bit further into the adapter. I do not know. Anyway, if you can get down to the depth, you can carve this skull.

First carve skull pass 1 and then, without lifting the head or removing the board, carve skull pass 2.

Guest going to have to buy the new software 2 + man bergerud your very tempting lol

bergerud
11-30-2013, 03:29 PM
What!? You have not bought it yet! I thought you would have one of the first to buy it.

When I first bought my machine, I was upset with the 0.8" carving limit but thought, since it was only a software limit, it would someday be increased. I have spent so much time over the years trying to get the most out of the 0.8". Well, to me this is Christmas. I like 3d stuff and now the door is open.

You will have to buy it sooner or later. (It is on sale now.)

bergerud
11-30-2013, 03:52 PM
It should be pointed out that with the new software, you can carve down to 1" with the normal carving bit in a single pass. You only need the deep carving bits to carve deeper. (With Jeff Bert's bits (Soigeneris) you can carve to 1.1" since they have that length of cut. It is one of Jeff's bits in the picture carving the skull.)

SteveEJ
11-30-2013, 04:17 PM
Are there any options for 1/4" shank long bits for a Rock? My rock is 1/4". Can the collets be removed from the CW long bits?

Thanks,

Steve

bergerud
11-30-2013, 04:34 PM
I have pressed off an adapter from an LHR bit (and then pressed it back on). It was pretty tight. Heat would have helped. You could even hacksaw it off.

I do worry about holding the new long bits. If they get into that shrill, vibration mode, they could walk right out of a 1/4" chuck. The 1/4" ER collects might not hold on either. I think it might be best to try and use them with the 1/2" adapters. I see LHR recommends:

"Tighten the bit as tight as much as possible in the CarveTight Spindle to ensure the excess forces don't pull it out."

It sounds like it cannot be tight enough!

EDIT: HEAT really helps. The adapter just falls off with the heat of a small propane torch.

zan29
11-30-2013, 04:49 PM
I'm lost here with the bits and spindle. Can I try it with just my regular CW 1/16 bit?? Does it air carve on the second pass for the first half.......so confused........:o

bergerud
11-30-2013, 05:08 PM
You can try the skull with a regular CW 1/16" carving bit if you can get the bit to reach the bottom of a 1.5" board. Put a 1.5" thick board in the machine and see if the bit can make it to the bottom of the board before the truck bottoms out. (I do not think you can with a CT and bit with pressed on adapter.) If you have a Rock, QC, or an ER11 adapter with your CT, I think you can do it.

If you can make it down 1.5" below the board surface, you can carve the skull. The first pass just carves the pattern down 0.75. (The machine thinks it is carving a 0.75 deep pattern with the deep bit.) The second pass finishes the carve by going the rest of the 0.75 to the bottom. (The machine thinks it is now carving a 1.5" deep pattern and so there is a little "air" action when the bit is in the top 0.75". It skims what was carved in the first pass.)

zan29
11-30-2013, 06:06 PM
Thanks Bergerud!