PDA

View Full Version : DEC 2013 Project of the Month - Cheese Board with "Cheese" Wedge Knife Holder!

mtylerfl
11-30-2013, 07:07 AM
Hello,

Here is a preview of the next Project of the Month (for DECEMBER 2013)...The Cheese/Fruit Board with Knife Holder!

This project features a standard-sized ceramic tile insert to provide a surface for cutting cheeses or fruits and a handy integrated “cheese wedge” knife holder. It’s great for your own personal use at home but it also makes a great gift or craftshow item. This project is something you can easily make at a moment’s notice! The project uses the 1/16" Carving Bit and the 1/8" Cutting Bit. No other bits are required. Finished dimensions of the assembled project are about 11.5" W x 7.5" D x 3.75" H

Main items you will need:
1) The Project Files (included):
• Cheese_Board.mpc

2) Board with the following dimensions:
0.75" x 9" x 25.5"
(Do not use boards that are smaller than specified above unless using an appropriate jig.)

3) A standard 6" x 8" (actual 6" x 7.875") ceramic tile and approx. 0.25" to 0.4" thick (the one used for the prototype sample was about 0.3" thick).

4) Sandpaper, wood glue, epoxy, cork or silicon self-adhesive pads, clamps, wood stain and/or paint and clear finish

5) A Dremel-type rotary tool with assorted sanding wheels and bits to sand small details and speed up preparation for finishing.

Apply stain/paint and clearcoat of your choice. Here’s what I used on my Cheese Board made from Select Pine:

Base:
• Rust-Oleum Ultimate Stain - Golden Mahogany
• 3 coats Zinsser Bulls Eye Spray Shellac sanding between coats
• Several light coats of Krylon Clear acrylic (spray)

Cheese Wedge Knife Holder:
• Two coats of thinned Bullseye Sealcoat
(50/50 mix SealCoat and Denatured alcohol)
• Sanded again with very fine sandpaper & Dremel
• Several light coats of Krylon Clear acrylic (spray)

lynnfrwd
12-03-2013, 10:42 AM
It is now released.

Bigtyme
12-03-2013, 11:25 AM
That is really cool. Well done, Michael!!!

chief2007
12-03-2013, 05:59 PM
Great Project - I agree Well Done!

Ducky63
12-03-2013, 07:03 PM
Good Job Michael!!!! Keep up the good works!!!!

mtylerfl
12-04-2013, 07:14 PM
Thanks everybody!

Say, I was alerted tonight that I made an error in the original PDF Instructions. I stated in the original instructions that a 6"x9" standard tile was used. This is not correct...it is a standard 6" x 8" (actual 6" x 7.875") ceramic tile and approx. 0.25" to 0.4" thick (the one used for the prototype sample was about 0.3" thick).

My local Home Depot shelf price tag said 6"x9", but that was wrong. Worse, I measured it myself and made the recess the correct size, but it never registered for me to change the dimension spec for the tile in the instructions (ummm...stupid me).:mad:

I would attach the 'New and Improved' pdf here, but even zipped, it was slighty too large. Anyway, everything else is fine...just remember the tile is 6" x 8" at your local Home Depot or Lowes, etc.! (I did send the new PDF to LHR to replace the original, for future downloads.)

lynnfrwd
12-04-2013, 07:36 PM
I thought I changed the original PDF with the replacement. Is this a third or did I mess up the switch-up?

mtylerfl
12-04-2013, 10:02 PM
I thought I changed the original PDF with the replacement. Is this a third or did I mess up the switch-up?

It is a third one...! ...the first one had a couple minor typos, which the second one corrected...this third one has the correction to the tile size/specification

Wish I could blame you ;)...but no...my fault.

lynnfrwd
12-04-2013, 10:07 PM
I'll fix it tomorrow, but can't change those that went out today. Hopefully, the have a tile saw.

mtylerfl
12-04-2013, 10:28 PM
I'll fix it tomorrow, but can't change those that went out today. Hopefully, the have a tile saw.

Thanks, Connie. Sorry to make extra work for you...again.

:DI have a tile saw - even bought several different tiles and colors that don't come in 6x8 size with that idea in mind (i.e., cut-to-fit). I did not advertise that as an option, but it really is one!

SteveNelson46
12-05-2013, 12:00 PM
Thanks everybody!

Say, I was alerted tonight that I made an error in the original PDF Instructions. I stated in the original instructions that a 6"x9" standard tile was used. This is not correct...it is a standard 6" x 8" (actual 6" x 7.875") ceramic tile and approx. 0.25" to 0.4" thick (the one used for the prototype sample was about 0.3" thick).

My local Home Depot shelf price tag said 6"x9", but that was wrong. Worse, I measured it myself and made the recess the correct size, but it never registered for me to change the dimension spec for the tile in the instructions (ummm...stupid me).

Nice to know that I'm not the only one to submit a project with mistakes. I think Connie had to correct almost all of mine.

mtylerfl
12-05-2013, 03:01 PM
Nice to know that I'm not the only one to submit a project with mistakes. I think Connie had to correct almost all of mine.

Yes, that was a 'first' for me. Normally, I'm perfect. Oh, are you interested in some nice swamp land...er, I mean nice dry land I have for sale in Florida?

Bigtyme
12-05-2013, 03:35 PM
Thanks for the heads up Michael. With advance notice, it won't be a problem. I will make note of the change in my project folder. This is a cool project that if I didn't already have more to build than I have time, would make some great Christmas gifts. I think I may see if I can do a couple anyway. I do have lights in my shop and the coffee pot still works :)