PDA

View Full Version : New long 1/16" bit

zan29
11-28-2013, 02:10 PM
You all think that new long bit is worth it?? I just can imagine all the possibilities with it but I'm afraid it wouldn't take much to break it. Should I buy it??

bergerud
11-28-2013, 02:31 PM
We have not had a chance to try it yet. We are waiting for you to try it first!

(I have ordered them.)

zan29
11-28-2013, 02:43 PM
Well I guess I'll be waiting for you Bergerud. So you think I might be able to be on your list for the spindle?

bergerud
11-28-2013, 02:49 PM
Yes, I think I will have a spindle for you. Let me give it a week.

zan29
12-19-2013, 04:29 PM
Ok..........has anyone tried the new long bit yet. I'm about to order parts and not sure if I should order it or not!

blhutchens
02-02-2014, 04:03 PM
Broke mine on the first carve. The z motor screws backed out and she jumped time. So waiting to order another……………..not much feedback on here about them.

peep
02-02-2014, 04:26 PM
I can just see breaking it, unless their is a way to do many passes on the project, but then I see doing a 60 hour carve. I have already done a 35hour 2 sided carve, and it had to be babied all the way. Maybe we need dimond dust on the tip.

blhutchens
02-02-2014, 05:00 PM
I can just see breaking it, unless their is a way to do many passes on the project, but then I see doing a 60 hour carve. I have already done a 35hour 2 sided carve, and it had to be babied all the way. Maybe we need dimond dust on the tip.

I don't think it is a sharpness or bit problem in my case. This was a stl file i imported and tried to carve 1 1/2 deep. Possibly could have changed the orientation of the project to relieve strain on the y axis. I think it was due to the complexity of the carve and not sure what caused the z motor screws to back off, they had lock-tite on them. I would definitely give the whole machine a once over before attempting a deep carve.

Yes, I keep seeing breaking it ^%&*^$$*&$$$$$!!!!!!

bergerud
02-02-2014, 05:08 PM
Did the bit make a shrill as it carved? Those vibrations make machinery move. I broke my 1/8" deep bit because it shrilled its way out of my ER20 collet.

blhutchens
02-02-2014, 05:18 PM
Did the bit make a shrill as it carved? Those vibrations make machinery move. I broke my 1/8" deep bit because it shrilled its way out of my ER20 collet.

It seemed to be a normal carve and did not notice a different sound.

Maybe we should carve em in two separate mpc files so it isn't plunging all the way down, or go to 1/2 or 1 inch feather.
I havent ordered another one yet, but I will probably get the 1/8 when I do.
I have the CT and the bit didn't slip. Just the z motor.

bergerud
02-02-2014, 05:54 PM
I have not even used the 1/16" deep bit yet. I thought I would practice with the stronger 1/8" bit first.

SteveNelson46
02-02-2014, 07:06 PM
Ok..........has anyone tried the new long bit yet. I'm about to order parts and not sure if I should order it or not!

I have done two bases for the lamp projects with the 1/8" long bit . They were 1 1/2" deep carvings and performed flawlessly. The only problem I had was the brushes in the cut motor gave out at the 87% complete mark on the front side of a two-sided carve. and stopped spinning. If I hadn't been there to stop the carving it would have broken the bit. Of course this was entirely my fault. I should have checked the brushes a long time ago. I recovered (after changing the brushes) by putting a carve region of 0" depth over the already carved portion and restarted the front side. It worked beautifully.

blhutchens
02-02-2014, 07:17 PM
I have not even used the 1/16" deep bit yet. I thought I would practice with the stronger 1/8" bit first.

where mine broke was up next to the adapter, so i don't really think the 1/16 would matter