PDA

View Full Version : Tip when creating your patterns to prevent crashes in designer

mcQ
11-27-2013, 07:17 PM
I was having problems with Designer 1.187 crashing repeatably everytime I manipulated a pattern of a Oak Leaf I created. This was driving me crazy until I discovered the .ptn file was over 4 M . I then opened the .ptn file in Pattern Editor and went to Edit > Pattern Settings and discovered the Oak Leaf was 60" x 35" I then changed the pattern to 5 x 3 and no more crashes. Aparently I had scanned the leaf at a high resolution and when I brought it into Designer it took the high resolution image and made it into a huge pattern.

fwharris
11-27-2013, 07:21 PM
That is very true especially if you have a large pattern list built up. Re sizing them to a more carvable size before taking them into designer is the best option.

eelamb
11-27-2013, 07:55 PM
Here is another option. I do this all the time to reduce the file size. As you know I create patterns using 3d party software, either in poly, sculpting, or nurbs. These patterns are STl format and a known size. I make all my patterns less then 14" wide, with most of them fitting on a 14x14 piece of wood. (some are smaller some are longer) I am saying this so you know it is not 60" by something, yet the PTN file size may be 2.5 or 3 Meg. (no trouble running it in designer 1.187). Ok history is done here is what I do. First save the pattern by exporting it and look at the file size.
1) place the pattern on a board
2) make a group of the pattern
3) choose the group and make pattern then save the pattern to favorites over writing the original. (remember I have the STL file)
4) export the PTN file and look at the file size. It will be about 1/4 the original size. (a 2m file will now be about 600K)

Designer must rearrange the tri's from the stl file, or reduce the number of tri's. No resolution seems to be lost in this process.