PDA

View Full Version : New long bits question

cestout
11-27-2013, 03:10 PM
Can the 2" bits be used with 1.187? Seems there would need to be a change in the bit choosing list.
Clint

RMarkey
11-27-2013, 03:13 PM
No, it requires designer+firmware 2.003 or higher.

fwharris
11-27-2013, 03:15 PM
Announcement coming out today???

RMarkey
11-27-2013, 03:16 PM
See the build blog....

fwharris
11-27-2013, 03:17 PM
I did plus knew it was coming.. Just did an update check through designer and it is up for down load...

fwharris
11-27-2013, 03:40 PM
So with this out now what are the rules/limitations on the new bits?

liquidguitars
11-27-2013, 03:58 PM
Holy cow that there is some clean looking carbide...

fwharris
11-27-2013, 04:04 PM
Holly cow that there is some clean looking carbide...

Almost like ice picks! Since you are a beta tester did you run any tests with these? Looking at the description in the store it only states to use best or optimal settings. Any other insight?

I know for the normal 1/8" carving bit it state for soft materials only...

liquidguitars
11-27-2013, 04:06 PM
I think I see a typo:

The CarveWright 1/8" Long Carving Bit allows for 2" deep carvings.
Max cutting depth with this bit is 2.125 inch.

The 1/8" long carving bit comes with a CarveTight adapter
only

fwharris
11-27-2013, 04:09 PM
I think I see a typo:

The CarveWright 1/8" Long Carving Bit allows for 2" deep carvings.
Max cutting depth with this bit is 2.125 inch.

The 1/8" long carving bit comes with a CarveTight adapter
only

???? not sure what your seeing as a typo.. The store only shows them with the CarveTight adapter..

liquidguitars
11-27-2013, 04:11 PM
Since you are a beta tester did you run any tests with these? Looking at the description in the store it only states to use best or optimal settings. Any other insight?

I not got a chance to test it.

liquidguitars
11-27-2013, 04:12 PM
ohh it said 1/8 bit long... :rolleyes:

liquidguitars
11-27-2013, 04:13 PM
come to think of it looks like a 1/4" shank.

fwharris
11-27-2013, 04:16 PM
ohh it said 1/8 bit long... :rolleyes:

got ya... must be Joe!! ;)

bergerud
11-27-2013, 04:49 PM
I thought for sure they would have 1/2" shanks. The good news is that the taper is so slight that it will not cut into the sides so much.

Isn't this great! I have been hoping for an inch all of these years and now we get 2+ inches. How this is going to change things boggles the mind.

liquidguitars
11-27-2013, 04:59 PM
They look fantastic, I also like a 3/16 version with the CT.

liquidguitars
11-27-2013, 05:03 PM
1/2 would cost more all around so I like that its a .25" shank end with the adapter.

skeeterman
11-27-2013, 05:03 PM
i have one machine out of the 4 that will not accept a long bit, i have a very narrow window on length of bit put in it, matter of fact ran into that today trying to use the 3/16 carving bit that has a ct sleeve, it works in all the other machines, so my question is if i do get the 2.whatever designer that this long bit will work in this i believe a ( B ) series machine
steve

liquidguitars
11-27-2013, 05:12 PM
I run some tall 3/8 bits in the CW and normally can fit it, could be you crank it up a bit first.

fwharris
11-27-2013, 05:25 PM
I use a 1/2" straight bit some times and I have to stop the spin during the bit check to insure it stops before going down for the touch..

Skeeterman are you using the CarveWright chuck or a Rock?

RMarkey
11-27-2013, 05:58 PM
We don't have rock chucks to test with, so I can't guarantee their current or future compatibility.

want2b
11-27-2013, 06:41 PM
Would it be possible for one of the 'beta' testers who have a rock chuck to do testing if they are not available at Carvewright? I realise they are not the product or responsibility of the Carvewright organization but for many users they were an answer to issues early in the development process. Now there a many machines equipped with them and the users would like to know if there is a benefit to purchasing the new software. If I have to add the price of converting my machine to the carvetight in addition to the software purchase?? Not sure if I want to spend that much, maybe economical for those using the carver for a business but I bet there are more of the hobbyists out there that are facing the same problem. Would love to buy the new longer bits, makes the new software more attractive.

Rick H

bergerud
11-27-2013, 06:57 PM
I think that the Rock is going to have problems. The bit will be 1/2" or so longer than in the CT. Since I think the bits are as long as they can be, I bet they will not even get above the bit plate. You would have to take off the CT adapter (or push it another 1/2" onto he bit).

bergerud
11-27-2013, 06:59 PM
1/2 would cost more all around so I like that its a .25" shank end with the adapter.

True, but they would not break either. These bits look a little delicate.

fwharris
11-27-2013, 07:02 PM
True, but they would not break either. These bits look a little delicate.

That was my first thought also and the reason I was asking about things to do/watch out for. Reading through Joe's blog and the materials he used they seem to be ok with holding up..

bergerud
11-27-2013, 07:13 PM
I also worry that they will have to be really sharp to work. There will be a lot of cutting edges cutting at once.

RMarkey
11-27-2013, 07:18 PM
I've cut my fingers on them every time I've handled one. It's better than just rubbing on the wood & starting fires, eh?

fwharris
11-27-2013, 07:18 PM
I would for sure be using the feather setting for doing any carving just to make sure the bit is eased into the carving area.

RMarkey
11-27-2013, 07:52 PM
feathers 1/8" or less when diving deep are totally useless anyhow.

skeeterman
11-27-2013, 08:06 PM
I use a 1/2" straight bit some times and I have to stop the spin during the bit check to insure it stops before going down for the touch..

Skeeterman are you using the CarveWright chuck or a Rock?
I have the Rock chuck on all machines , the long 3/16 works on all but the B series, the A and C series machines the long bit works but B no workie

bergerud
11-27-2013, 08:41 PM
This will be different firmware expecting the long bit. If you can get the bit above the bit plate it may all be good. I bet it may not fit above the bit plate. Measure the distance from the bottom of the Rock to the bit plate when the truck is up. If it is less than 2.125 + 0.5 = 2.625, there is no hope. The new bit has to stick at least that far below the CT to carve 2.125 deep.

liquidguitars
11-29-2013, 10:14 AM
Would it be possible for one of the 'beta' testers who have a rock chuck to do testing if they are not available at Carvewright?

I own three Rocks and a CT but the testers where not asked to test due to the high costs of the bits.

SteveNelson46
11-29-2013, 10:44 AM
Maybe I'm missing something here but, if you have the board thickness set for 2" how can you do a cutout without a 1/8" or 3/16" long cutting bit? The Designer still will not let you do a cutout on any board over 1" thick.

fwharris
11-29-2013, 10:49 AM
Maybe I'm missing something here but, if you have the board thickness set for 2" how can you do a cutout without a 1/8" or 3/16" long cutting bit. The Designer still will not let you do a cutout on any board over 1" thick.

Good question! One way would be to set the carve up as a pierced carving and use manual tabs.

liquidguitars
11-29-2013, 10:53 AM
I have a long bit for my big format CNC but my Designer Beta deep carve mode is locked, I can't even upload into the card to test if I wanted to.

SteveNelson46
11-29-2013, 10:55 AM
Good question! One way would be to set the carve up as a pierced carving and use manual tabs.

I suppose you could in some cases but, if you have a carve region on both sides of the board manual tabs can be a problem. Just doesn't seem well thought out to me!

fwharris
11-29-2013, 10:57 AM
I suppose you could in some cases but, if you have a carve region on both sides of the board manual tabs can be a problem. Just doesn't seem well thought out to me!

I guess we will have to wait and see if Joe will share his thoughts on this.

bergerud
11-29-2013, 11:09 AM
I have a long bit for my big format CNC but my Designer Beta deep carve mode is locked, I can't even upload into the card to test if I wanted to.

I have uploaded a deep carving and carved it with a regular bit in two passes.

Edit: actually, it was on my rotary jig by going around twice.

liquidguitars
11-29-2013, 11:48 AM
I selected the deep mode bit and set the project for over 1" and received a error stating that I was not allowed on the card.

bergerud
11-29-2013, 12:27 PM
I selected the deep mode bit and set the project for over 1" and received a error stating that I was not allowed on the card.

Strange. Firmware updated? Was that the 2.003 beta? I have not tried the 2.004 release. I will when I get home.

liquidguitars
11-29-2013, 02:21 PM
Thanks Berg I will check the updates and firmware...

RMarkey
12-01-2013, 01:08 PM
How is it a problem? You can define the position, size, and height placement of those tabs.

SteveNelson46
12-02-2013, 10:08 AM
How is it a problem? You can define the position, size, and height placement of those tabs.

I am referring to any project where a carve region extends to the edge of the cutout on both sides of the board. One example is the Vegie Tray I designed. Since the machine will not under-cut the manual tabs they will always be from the bottom. If the carve region on the bottom is deeper than 1/4" the tabs will not be there because there is no wood left. Maybe I'm not seeing the whole picture but, I've tried just about all combinations of height and depth with the same results. I have not tried the old fashion way by placing small carve regions across the cutout and setting the depth to zero. That may be a work around but. will require a little more sanding.

bergerud
12-02-2013, 11:02 AM
Maybe I am missing something but I do not see the problems with tabs. You can put them at any depth you like. I know that when the automatic tabs of a cut out get interfered with from a pattern behind, you loose control of the tab height. If you place your own tabs - I see no problem.

SteveNelson46
12-02-2013, 04:29 PM
Maybe I am missing something but I do not see the problems with tabs. You can put them at any depth you like. I know that when the automatic tabs of a cut out get interfered with from a pattern behind, you loose control of the tab height. If you place your own tabs - I see no problem.

Okay, My bad. After further experimentation none of my previous statements are true. I don't know what I was doing before but, apparently I wasn't doing something right. My apologies to you and Metallus.

bergerud
12-02-2013, 04:42 PM
Its all good to get stuff straightened out.

The other day I posted that it was stupid that the stl importer could only slice up to 3/4" slices since we have new long bits. It turns out that all you have to do is press that button beside the 0.75 button (above the slicing plane slider) and you can change the max default. Duh.

RMarkey
12-02-2013, 04:48 PM
You gotta love all the easter eggs in the designer software. Anyone want to document them?

SteveNelson46
12-02-2013, 05:29 PM
Still, it would be nice to have a "long" cutting bit. I realize there are a lot of factors to consider eg. stress on the bit, stress on the cut motor, etc. My suggestion would be to limit deep cutouts to a 3/16" diameter long bit and .25" max depth per cut. It wouldn't solve all of the problems and maybe even introduce a few more but, I think it would be better than having no options at all.

kool69sporty
12-02-2013, 05:44 PM
Steve, your comment about limiting bit size and depth probably makes sense with hard woods and extra options are always nice. But most of my deep carves are with polyurethane mold makers board that cuts like a dream with very little side load. And I am 1 happy camper to finally have 2" depth of cut capability.
Thank you LHR!!! Joe

liquidguitars
12-02-2013, 07:33 PM
You gotta love all the easter eggs in the designer software. Anyone want to document them?

Some cool new stuff for sure...