PDA

View Full Version : Problems with deteriorating carving quality.

princess sawdust
02-16-2007, 06:14 PM
Alright, can anyone lend some advice? I am about 7 projects into this beast and it seems like the quality of the carving is degrading. Has anyone else experienced this? I have been through z axsis errors, y axsis errors, sensor problems, etc.... it seems to be running fine now, but the quality of carving seems to be worse than it was right out of the box. I will attempt to attach pictures to illustrate.

By the way...I JUST RECEIVED MY NEW BITS!!!!! YAHOOO!

The Princess

pkunk
02-16-2007, 06:18 PM
That looks like either poplar or soft maple and both will 'fuzz' like that. When you're done. hit it heavy with sanding sealer and when dry the fuzzies scrape right off.

princess sawdust
02-16-2007, 06:25 PM
Good call, it is poplar. But like I said, both carvings were done on the same piece of wood about 2 weeks apart. there is considerable differences between the two. Am I just being paranoid?

The Princess

HandTurnedMaple
02-16-2007, 06:28 PM
Are you using the same carving quality settings at upload? And the same bit optimization?

princess sawdust
02-16-2007, 06:35 PM
Same exact everything. I purposely even used the back of the same piece of wood the second time to eliminate all variables.

pkunk
02-16-2007, 06:49 PM
Maybe the back side the grain is a little flatter. :?:

Jeff_Birt
02-16-2007, 07:33 PM
Is your Z-truck loose?

princess sawdust
02-16-2007, 09:29 PM
I'm not sure. I don't notice anything out of the ordinary.

Jeff_Birt
02-16-2007, 09:51 PM
Just give it a wiggle to be sure, usaully when loose it will leave 'scratches' in the work too. You might also want to check the bit/bit holder to make sure all is well.

Ron Baird
02-16-2007, 10:33 PM
Looks like some thing may be loose. or your bit is bent. check the trucks they should have no play. check the head bearings. remove the flexshaft from the head and find sometheng the size of the flex shaft you can insert into the sqaure hole in the head shaft and check that the bit adapter is not unscrewing from the head shaft. It should have been loktighted the the shaft but iu may have been missed. Try a harder wood poplar is only good for testing.
Ron

princess sawdust
02-16-2007, 10:43 PM
While checking the z truck like you suggested, I noticed a groove being etched into the side of it by the up and down motion. I'm thinking this is not normal....I attached a picture.

Ron Baird
02-16-2007, 11:04 PM
That black arm that wraps around there is the Z homing flag that tells it when the head is all the way up to the home position. It may be just bent in alittle to close or tha truck is loose and moving over to rub it. If you are sure the truck has no pay in it then gently bend the flag out. It only needs to clear the head by 1/32". Your bearings look dirty, youcan pullthe plastic caps off (they just sort of clip over the bearing) and blow everything out withanair gun if you have one. clean and oil lightly the rails the bearings ride on .Both trucks. Let me know if you find anything else. This rubbing is not causing your problem. :D

princess sawdust
02-16-2007, 11:49 PM
ok, sorry but I am a little shop machine illiterate. What kind of oil should I use to oil the rails?

I will get my compressor out to blow out everything.

Thanks everyone, so much for the help. I hope to be up and throwin' sawdust again tomorrow.

Princess Sawdust

Ron Baird
02-16-2007, 11:53 PM
Just a light oil like sewing machine oil ro 3in 1 oil not wd40 it is not oil.

The Bard
02-16-2007, 11:56 PM
*throws sawdust around*

Digitalwoodshop
02-17-2007, 12:00 AM
With the unit unplugged for safety. Grab the bit chuck and move it from side to side and front to back. A noticeable movement could be bad bearings in the chuck drive, a loose left right drive belt, or a bent bit..... It has been seen before.

Is the bit chuck hot after a job?

I recommend everyone do this with the business end of the machine just to familiarize yourself with what is normal....

AL

Step away from the Soap Box....

The Bard
02-17-2007, 12:07 AM
I'd wiggle the bit while it is loaded and see if you have any play. That's been the usually issue. locked or loose Quick Changers.

princess sawdust
02-17-2007, 12:16 AM
There is a slight wiggle to the bit. I tried tightening the quick changers but that didn't fix it. I've tried different bits and they are all a little wiggly. Does this mean i get to wait in line to talk to you Bard on Monday?

Bard, do you ever sleep?

The Bard
02-17-2007, 01:48 AM
No, I hardly sleep. Simply too much to do.

You can go here http://carvewright.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1241 to see if reinstalling it helps reset the bearings. Most likely its internal and you're going to have to call us for a new Q/C.

I'll try to be here all weekend to catch up so I have a clean list for Monday. sorry there isn't more I can do

princess sawdust
02-23-2007, 03:13 PM
Bard! Am I getting close on your calling que? I left a message on Monday, still haven't heard form anyone...I am missing the high pitched hum of my compucarve working that lulls my frustration levels to managable... levels rising....help!

The Princess

The Bard
02-23-2007, 03:16 PM
no idea.... pm me with the name. please.