PDA

View Full Version : It is finally here.

NLAlston
11-26-2013, 01:19 PM
Yes. I picked up my CW yesterday evening. It is still boxed (though I did open it to take a peep at it), as I am trying to figure out a different place for it. But I can't WAIT to get to working with it.

CNC Carver
11-26-2013, 01:34 PM
Can't wait to see what you make first! Welcome!

NLAlston
11-26-2013, 02:46 PM
Can't wait to see what you make first! Welcome!

Thanks. I don't know, at this point, what my first effort will be - but whatever it is, I know I will have much fun doing it.

Geomoo1
11-26-2013, 03:07 PM
Congrats, Nathan. Hope you have a ball with your new toy. Be sure to post your first project. We are a nosy bunch when it comes to seeing what everyone else is doing with their machines.

aokweld101
11-26-2013, 05:26 PM
welome to the carve alcoholics, we don't have a 12 step program here you have to carve at your own risk .... try to keep your emotions in check....lol

Dale
11-26-2013, 06:45 PM
Good luck with your machine. It is fun and addicting but can be challenging at times.

CarverJerry
11-26-2013, 07:20 PM
Congrats Nathan, I remember that day, and my first carve. Was exciting and still is when ever I do something new. I have my machine on a sturdy table with rollers on the bottom so I can move it around because I use the old root celler in my basement (about7x7 ft.) and I close the door which helps with the noise. I even put my 30 gal vacuum in the same area as it's a bit noisy too. Have fun and besure to come back here with any question you have and to show off your projects.

chief2007
11-26-2013, 08:01 PM
Enjoy and Happy Carving! Remember the forum is here to help you with any hard spots you might run across.

chebytrk
11-26-2013, 08:50 PM
Congrats Nathan! I'm happy & excited for you.

NLAlston
11-26-2013, 11:42 PM
First, I'd like to thank everyone who responded, with their very kind words.

I had a bear of a time getting this machine set up and (initially) thought that I might have gotten hold of a unit that had some issues. It turns out that I seem to have a bit of a problem with the keypad. I had flashed my card with the latest Firmware (oddly enough, the one that was on the card, and the one it was being flashed to were the same, but the card wasn't recognized until it was flashed), and thought that I might have had a defective card - until repeated presses of the Enter key finally allowed things to happen. I won't deny that I am a bit worried that the keypad's (seemingly) fickleness might be indicative of impending problems, for me.

The software? Well, the User Manuals (software, and hardware) cannot be accessed from the 'Help' menu. Clicking on either provides nothing. Also, the 'Help' menu's 'Check for Updates' is posing a challenge for me. When I click on it I get a 'Critical' error message, which states that my browser is reporting an error. Now, that latter issue could very well be a problem with my computer, itself - and not, necessarily, having anything to do with the program. I am just wondering if anyone else had received such a message and, if so, what was done to correct it.

But here's hoping that all is, indeed, well - with my machine, and that the expressed keypad issue is something that just might be worked out with usage.

fwharris
11-27-2013, 12:02 AM
Make sure the machine is off when inserting or removing the flash card.

The hardware and software manuals should have been installed when you downloaded the software and should open up a pdf file for each. They should be installed the the CarveWright program directory.

If you have a firewall or virus checker you might have to give them the CarveWright permission to access the internet to check for updates.

NLAlston
11-27-2013, 01:13 AM
Make sure the machine is off when inserting or removing the flash card.

The hardware and software manuals should have been installed when you downloaded the software and should open up a pdf file for each. They should be installed the the CarveWright program directory.

If you have a firewall or virus checker you might have to give them the CarveWright permission to access the internet to check for updates.

Yes indeed, I made certain that the machine was off upon each inserting, and removal of the card. Regarding the software, I had uninstalled the demo, and then went about program installation from one of the two disks that had been included in the package. I think, now, that maybe I should not have done that.

Good point about my firewall/virus checker (AVG) possibly blocking the program's accessibility to the Internet. Hopefully, that's all it is.

Thanks.

fwharris
11-27-2013, 01:21 AM
When you did the install from disk what version of designer did it say?

tierman
11-27-2013, 06:03 AM
Welcome, good luck and happy carving! Keep us posted.

Proctorw
11-27-2013, 04:53 PM
Congratulations. It is a mostly fun machine, 95% of the time. If you didn't get a dust collector attachment, get one! This will reduce issues with board sensors. My first three carves all required cleaning of the sensor. I had one installed the 4th time and have over 120 hours on my machine and have only had 1 board sensor issue. Check out Ring Neck Blues for your dust collector.

NLAlston
11-27-2013, 06:04 PM
Congratulations. It is a mostly fun machine, 95% of the time. If you didn't get a dust collector attachment, get one! This will reduce issues with board sensors. My first three carves all required cleaning of the sensor. I had one installed the 4th time and have over 120 hours on my machine and have only had 1 board sensor issue. Check out Ring Neck Blues for your dust collector.

Thanks. I had, indeed, purchased a dust collector hood even before my machine had arrived. The one I purchased (which was, actually, the only one that I knew about, at the time) is the Dust Devil collector. It seems as if it might do a decent job, but I am a little iffy about cutting the CW's cover, which is something that I didn't know about when I ordered it. My concern is whether or not such an act would void the machine's warranty. I am now thinking about, maybe, shipping it back, and ordering the Ringneck collector, which I have been reading so may raving reviews about. I've not read anything, as yet, on the cover having to be cut, to accommodate this particular hood, and the apparent plus side to the Ringneck is that is constructed of ALL METAL properties. I know that this move - if I did travel this route - would also translate into a later start in my getting some carving done.

But what do you think?

NLAlston
11-27-2013, 06:06 PM
Disregard my previous post. I just found that the RingNeck Blues also required modification of the CW's cover. So, I guess I will just go ahead with what I already have.

Again, thanks.

eelamb
11-27-2013, 07:08 PM
Nathan, your warranty will not be effected if you cut the cover, LHR has stated this many times. I hope it is still the same.

NLAlston
11-27-2013, 11:34 PM
Nathan, your warranty will not be effected if you cut the cover, LHR has stated this many times. I hope it is still the same.

Thanks. At least, by that information, I can forge ahead without that concern looming above me.

NLAlston
11-28-2013, 11:54 AM
When you did the install from disk what version of designer did it say?

Sorry about the delay in getting back to you: was busy as heck.

When I did the disk installation, its version was 1.187. Just a moment ago, I uninstalled/reinstalled it; just to see if a new episode of doing so might correct matters. But it did not. So, I uninstalled it and (this time) pulled down the version from the Carvewright website. After installation, I found that this version was doing the same exact thing. None of the PDF files are accessible, and that dreaded error message keeps popping up when I click on just about any of the sub-choices in the 'Help' menu. It had been mentioned that my firewall, or virus checker might be the culprit, but I have since made certain that it wasn't.

have no idea WHAT'S going on here, but it sure has got me a bit flustered.

eelamb
11-28-2013, 01:15 PM
It has something to do with your computer, since it was running before and not now.
Did you install it using run as administrator?