PDA

View Full Version : Head Track Is Jammed At Top Of Machine

phkamenik
02-16-2007, 05:51 PM
I've had my CompuCarve for about 2 weeks now. I inserted a board to measure it. I was not paying attent and raised the head track instead of lowering it. When I felt resistance I next expected to hear the clicks from the clutch but didn't. I applied so much force that the head track now will not lower. At first the clutch clicked when I tried to lower the head track. Now the crank just unscrews and I can't get the head track to lower. Can anyone help me. I contacted LHR hardware support but got an e-mail response that they are backed up and it might be 2 to 3 (message didn't say whether that was days, weeks, or what).

pkunk
02-16-2007, 05:58 PM
Oh boy - here we go again. This subject is in th manual, here on the forum in numerous places and is just about beat to death. Use the search function, please, or read your manual.

phkamenik
02-16-2007, 06:30 PM
OK, so I didn't see it the first time I checked the manual. I'm new at this. A search of the forum didn't yield any results. Must have used the wrong key words. I guess head track jammed were not the right key words.

A true sage is patient and understanding.

rmacke
02-16-2007, 06:51 PM
Check page 37 of the manual..you can down load it here
http://www.carvewright.com/downloads.html
rmacke

phkamenik
02-16-2007, 06:55 PM
I followed the instructions in the manual and released the head track but the crank still will not lower the head track. NOW WHAT????

In my original message I stated the the crank handle started unscrewing itself. I found no instructions on how to reseat the crank handle so it would lower the head track.

Cliff
02-16-2007, 08:45 PM
The crank is keyed to the slot and is spring loaded. Push the crank in and turn it until it pops into the slot then while holding it in tighten the crank screw.

Cliff

phkamenik
02-16-2007, 08:53 PM
I did that but the crank just free wheels neither raising or lowering the head track. I hope I didn't break something in the mechanism.

Jeff_Birt
02-16-2007, 09:55 PM
Is it clicking?

Digitalwoodshop
02-16-2007, 11:34 PM
On the inside of the machine with the head up as it is, look at the threaded rod on the opposite side center, from the key pad. About 1 inch up is a hole through the threaded rod to allow you to turn it clock wise as you look down at it to start the head moving down. The hole might have grease in it. Good Luck,

AL

phkamenik
02-17-2007, 08:56 AM
In my panic yesterday, after the crank came apart, I mistakenly assumed the shaft sticking out was what you turn to raise and lower the head track. Well, it doesn't. I had used a wrench to turn this shaft in the down direction, loosening it. On reassembling the crank and getting the head track loose following the direction on page 37 of the manual, every time I turned the crank in the down direction, I loosened that shaft even more. This morning, once I realized what that shaft was, I tried to disassemble the crank but instead the crank, shaft and all, came out. Now I have to figure out how to align everything while trying to reinsert the shaft then reassembling the crank.