PDA

View Full Version : z- motor

aokweld101
11-23-2013, 05:46 PM
This the first time I asked this so hear I go, I was running a carve today and the z-motor started running sluggish it wasn't running smooth so tore the machine down to look at the gears for the z-motor and everything is fine the gears are ok soon after I noticed it running sluggish I had a z-motor error come up I changed the brushes did all my sensor checks, checked the head presser and all them where all right could my z-motor be going out?

fwharris
11-23-2013, 08:30 PM
How does the Z motor move by hand with the power off? Hard to push up and down, smooth in some areas but jerky/hard in other areas or moves without any resistance. Did you to the Z drive test and was it slow to response during the test?

Most times if it does not move freely by hand it is either the Z roller bearing or rails are dirty, loose bearing or adjustable bearing is to tight. It could also be either of the two gears on the Z belt.

If it move fine by hand it could be either the motor of a dirty encoders disc in the motor.

aokweld101
11-23-2013, 10:28 PM
I made a mistake.. it is the x-gear that is giving me problems the motor that feeds the board. I still get mixed up on the x,y,z movements.

fwharris
11-23-2013, 10:30 PM
check your head pressure.

aokweld101
11-23-2013, 10:32 PM
Head pressure is at 80 pounds I did the x-motor check and it went forward and backwards without a gitch I put a board in to carve and about midway in the board it slowed down and then the error came up.

fwharris
11-23-2013, 10:47 PM
Check your out feed trays to make sure it is not raised up. If you have the sand paper belts one might be rolled up on the end.

aokweld101
11-23-2013, 10:57 PM
I have the rubber belts and the feed trays are just a little bit from the board I would say about 3/16 to 1/4 inch below the board with the machine off should I be able to push the belts by hand?

unitedcases
11-23-2013, 11:12 PM
Sounds like you may have stripped an X gear...

bergerud
11-23-2013, 11:13 PM
Push down on the brass roller and see if it or its O ring touches the rubber belt.

aokweld101
11-23-2013, 11:14 PM
looked the gears over and all the teeth where ok

aokweld101
11-23-2013, 11:22 PM
Bergerud, I'll have to tear it back down to take a look see I didn't check that I done everything that I know in my arsenal I'm thinking maybe the motor is going out I'm not sure because I don't know if they go out completely Or start showing signs of being worn out are you talking about the o-ring on the board sensor?

bergerud
11-23-2013, 11:58 PM
Yes I am talking about the O ring on the board sensor. The x drive can get into a feed back situation with the drive trying to agree with the board sensor data. The motor sounds labored but it is actually a control thing.

aokweld101
11-24-2013, 12:21 AM
That does sound right the motor does sound labored or in a strain it was making a noise that I haven't heard before...I will check that first thing in the morning. Thanks....

aokweld101
11-24-2013, 03:06 PM
I have checked the o-ring on the board sensor and its not hitting the belt I'm don't know what the problem is I ran out of options is there something else, when the x-motor goes bad does it show signs of being worn out or it just don't work? could it have something to do with the termination board maybe wood in under the belts putting a strain on the motor ... I'm taken a shot in the dark here any advice would be helpful... Thank you.. When it misses up it starts running slow then starts going back and forth

bergerud
11-24-2013, 05:34 PM
I have had that before. The belts start going back and forth until you turn it off. It is a control problem. The computer is getting confused about where the x is. I do not think anything is wrong with your x motor. If anything, I would check the x encoder and the board tracking sensor. They are where the computer gets the data from. If there was a loose or dusty encoder disc, that might explain it.

Mine has not done it for a long time. I never knew why it did it.

aokweld101
11-24-2013, 06:27 PM
I have both of those parts In my band aid kit for the carvewright witch one do I check first... My thoughts is the encoder but then again I could be wrong... your thoughts....

henry1
11-24-2013, 06:54 PM
your board sensor,, on the squaring plate could be to low if you have the rubber belts you might have to raise the plate about 15 thou were the 2 screws hold the plate down just a suggestion

aokweld101
11-24-2013, 07:16 PM
The rubber belts came with the machine I'm sure that's ok I have another machine that had the sandpaper belts and changed them to the rubber belts making sure that I put the extra washers on it.. I thought that I had the encoder but it's the one that I have has the long bars on it. My one machine is down I think it needs a new flex shaft and chuck so I'll rob it.. I'm not going to like getting it fixed. It's going to take a small fortune to get it fixed if I keep robbing it...lol

aokweld101
12-01-2013, 09:55 PM
I found my problem the board I was using had a split in the end of it making it wedged up against the slide plate I moved the plate over and did my carve it didn't interfere with my pattern the split was in between the two patterns that I had it worked out great, I like it when a plan comes together!!