PDA

View Full Version : Problems Starting to Pop Up.

Cliff
02-16-2007, 04:44 PM
Well after three small test projects and one complete final project the machine is starting to act up.

1. Project requiring 1/2 in thick board (.425) wont measure the board length. Multiple boards tested with same results, the lenght sense just keeps running. I've read though the post and have tried the tape, checked pressure rollers and connections. The sensor checks don't report errors and the reading are high. A 3/4 board checks fine.

2. Testing the roller pressure with a scale showed over 80 pounds both front and rear but now I've lost my clutch action on the elevation control. (Scratch #2 Got it back using a little white grease on the pinion gear and removing the crank and using a little light lube there.) Now the clutch works fine.

I still can't measure a 1/2 inch board..

Cliff

The Bard
02-16-2007, 05:07 PM
.425 is not half an inch.

maybe start with a .50?

Cliff
02-16-2007, 05:40 PM
Sounds logical and thanks for the quick response, one reason why Sears has not gotten this toy back is the great support.
Now back to the problem; the board thickness was as measured but it was purchased as a 1/2" x 8" x 4' oak plank at Menards and cut to lenght for the project. Sad to think I'll have to mill my own lumber to get a minimum 0.50 (1/2) thickness to work.
The project is an inset panel for doors on a japaneese doll case stand I made a few years ago.
Life goes on.

Thanks

Cliff

pkunk
02-16-2007, 05:43 PM
Ypu could make a sled out of some inexpensive wood and still use your piece.

Cliff
02-16-2007, 05:55 PM
Thanks Pkunk;
Not to up on this sled thing I've seen people use. Like what type of demensions would be needed and how does CW know the measurement of the work piece once places on the sled.
Just caught another problem most likely caused by my attempts to measure this board. The front and rear sandpaper belts have drifted towards the control panel and are getting ready to bind, I'll have to attend to that first.

Thanks again.

Cliff

The Bard
02-16-2007, 06:06 PM
http://www.carvewright.com/downloads/troubleshooting/sandpaper%20belt%20change.pdf

that'll help getting into it.

Cliff
02-16-2007, 06:33 PM
Thanks Bard

Got it, read it, and will most likely take it apart tonight but reassemble tomorrow after I pick up some sillycoon and lock er tight.
I'm comfortable around machines with my electronic and mechanical background. Problems to me are just opportunities to learn something new.

Again Thanks

Cliff

Cliff
02-17-2007, 12:30 PM
The task of repairing the front and rear sandpaper belts is complete. Total time was less than 30 minutes, degree of difficulty 2 (Oops this is not the Do-It-Yourself (DIY) Network). Following the instruction in the troubleshooting pdf made it so easy even I could do it. The only hard part of the task was resealing the gear box with silicone to keep the dust out of the nylon drive gears. The only easier way to accomplish this task would be to have someone do it for you.
Reassembled, Tested, and Running fine.
Now back to figuring out how to carve a board that is just shy of ½”, less making a sled I’ll most likely tack two boards together for thickness and adjust in the Designer.

Thanks

Cliff

The Bard
02-17-2007, 01:26 PM
8)

FdxGuy
02-17-2007, 08:27 PM
.425 is not half an inch.

Sez YOU!!!! :D