PDA

View Full Version : Stripped the hex head on my carvetight collet or grab paw with screw.

jdlink01
11-21-2013, 11:10 AM
Hey anybody,
I seem to have stripped the 4mm hex head on the "grab paw with screw" part of my collet. I tried to loosen it with some WD40 and it will tighten and loosen to a certain point, then stop, then the hex head rounded. Anybody have any suggestions as to how to remove the screw so I can replace it? And why is it only moving in and out so far?
Thanks for the help
Josh

bergerud
11-21-2013, 02:44 PM
My guess would be that part of one of the lock washers broke off and got into the paw. It may have made itself a little indent in the screw and now will not come out. I would try and find a hex wrench which fits tighter and again try and screw it out. Maybe a small pair if vise grips can grip the head. Maybe you can cut a screw driver slot with a Dremel cut off wheel.

(Try pushing on the paw from inside with a 1/2" shank as you try and turn out the screw.)

jdlink01
11-21-2013, 04:42 PM
Well I got it out!... I replaced it with a new one. The old one had all the threads stripped off about half way down. I have not idea what could have caused that. When I put the new one in it started to re cut the threads on the screw. It still tightened. I am hesitant to try to tap a new hole since the screw did tighten. I am going to run a test project tonight to see if I fixed it.

Thanks for the help.

Josh