PDA

View Full Version : alignment top and bottom

eelamb
11-21-2013, 08:05 AM
This is a little trick many of the new members may not know about. It was taught to me and others sometime back by Doug. Thanks Doug.
When you have a two sided carve sometimes you want to see both sides or a slice of the board. It can be done by using this trick.
images 1 and 2 are front and back side of pattern.
image 3 shows me placing a line segment down the middle (or where ever you want it)
image 4 shows after I chose the cut path tool and used hide cutout and accept.
image 5 shows the cut side of the board with the pattern top and bottom.

Now for the line segment, draw it inside the board (only way this can be done) then grap the nodes top and bottom and pull it off the board. Once this is done the cut path will light up.

This is good for alignment or just checking how two items meet. Some use holes in the board and other methods, so lets hear of the other ways this can be done.

Bigtyme
11-21-2013, 08:27 AM
That is a great tip, Ed. Thank you for passing it on. It will definitely help with 2 sided carves....

myshop1044
11-21-2013, 09:09 AM
eelamb , that is a great explanation. Being an old draftsman I always wanted to see a cross sectional view of the top and bottom and this works very well.
I used this method all the time.
thanks again

Perry B.

aokweld101
11-21-2013, 09:09 AM
Eddie received your e-mail and that is awesome ....I'm having problems with step 4 I can't get the cut path to light up.... my light must not be to bright I never was the sharpest tool In the shed am I trying that to early ? I'm putting the line segment in the middle then trying the cut path..

TerryT
11-21-2013, 09:38 AM
Eddie received your e-mail and that is awesome ....I'm having problems with step 4 I can't get the cut path to light up.... my light must not be to bright I never was the sharpest tool In the shed am I trying that to early ? I'm putting the line segment in the middle then trying the cut path.. Make sure both ends of the line extend OFF of the board.

aokweld101
11-21-2013, 09:46 AM
All right I played with it and got half the board but didn't get the pocket cut in the center. So that means I'm getting close...lol ...I played with it and finally got it...thanks Eddie for a great pattern !!!

aokweld101
11-21-2013, 10:18 AM
I like the fact that we learn new things every day. I've been doing this for over a year now and never new this about this little tidbit...thanks guys you all are the greatest!!!

bergerud
11-21-2013, 11:08 AM
This method works great but only for boards 1" thick or less. For thicker boards, one can change the board length (or width) in board settings. (Then ctrl z to undo) It is harder to look at a specific cross section but it is faster and always works.

eelamb
11-21-2013, 11:53 AM
Thanks Dan, I have used this method at times too.
Look at the cross section after changing the board size. Then ctrl-z to get it back to what you had before resizing the board.
Others use something like this by dragging the pattern off the side or end of the board to see the cross section.

aokweld101
11-21-2013, 08:25 PM
My mistake on not getting the carve in the middle is I used the wrong e-mail attachment but I'm happy with the results.. thanks Eddie for a great pattern... I'm a little curious is there a way to make a ring on the top of that pattern to make it taller I played with it couldn't do it. It's gotta be a man thing trying to make it bigger!!!

Alan Malmstrom
11-21-2013, 08:27 PM
I put square register marks on the corners of raster patterns that need to fit back and front. Then center both patterns on the board to align them. Of coarse the pattern on the back needs to be flipped to fit irregular shapes.

aokweld101
11-21-2013, 08:44 PM
I probably need to explain that a little better I was wondering if you could make it in two pieces having the base as you have it and making the next piece as you have it on the outside on the top with a cut out in the middle to make it taller I thought that it would be great as a nut dish to hold walnuts and such...

eelamb
11-21-2013, 08:59 PM
aok, check your email

aokweld101
11-22-2013, 07:42 AM
Eddie thanks for the pattern, I'll start turning and burning right away. Thank you for the extended pattern and no wonder I could not get nothing going on the pattern....lol [ replied to your E-mail ]