PDA

View Full Version : First real scanned project.

CarverJerry
11-19-2013, 06:53 PM
Well I've had my machine now for a few years, never really did a scan with it. Built a sled and there it sat collecting dust. So today I got the sled out, cleaned it off and mounted a belt buckle of an Indian Head (looks like whats on the old Buffalo Nickle) to a block of wood which I releaved it so it would lay flat on the board. I scanned it in using the best setting. Took about an hour to complete. I got it to my computer and looked at it in pattern editor. But I have no clue what to do next. I looked under "scanning" but didn't really find what I was looking for. Am I ready to carve this or does it need to be cleaned up some? One other thing, how do it save this from the pattern editor so it will show up under the blue shell?

CarverJerry
11-19-2013, 07:17 PM
I just answered my last question on how to save it under my favorites (blue shell) just by trying to remove the back ground and save to library. Funny how things come back to you once you start playing around with it. As "Ask Bud" showed me how to remove the edge on an imported photo for doing a lithopane. Any suggestions as what to do with this file now? I tried to upload the mpw file but it wouldn't allow it so this is the pnt file. Thanks in advance.

fwharris
11-19-2013, 07:36 PM
Jerry,

Good job for your first scan. The only thing I see that might be touched up is the outer area, mainly top left. It has some out lying areas that needs to be removed. It can be done with the eraser tool. I would of suggested the trim edges tool but since the rest of the area around the pattern is already close it would make them to thin.

Good you figured out how to save to the pattern library. You can also export it out as an stl or image (png) file. Just make sure you save the original as is, mpw file, so that you can use it as a new starting point to make any other changes and always save those as a new name so that you always have the original file.

eelamb
11-19-2013, 09:20 PM
Jerry I would add to what Floyd said, by telling you to bring it back into pattern editor, and do a file, save as an MPW file. This makes the file available to you from your hard drive anytime you want it. Without doing this, if the computer ID changes, accidentally delete the pattern from favorites, etc, you will be able to restore it from the MPW file.